Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 pm 

Hi, I'm just after a little advice. Why do children that wish to attend Westholme in Blackburn need to pass the 11+ as it is not classed as a Grammar School and therefore is not listed on this website.

I'm asking because a parent of a child in my year 6 class wishes her daughter to go there but is worried that she has not got her tuition to pass the 11+ tests that they are expected to take in January 2018. Because the school has fees, I am not sure if the pass criteria is the same as at Clitheroe, Lancaster etc but told her I would look into it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Last edited by ELR100 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:44 pm 

Westholme is a private school that has an entrance exam - some people may refer to it as an 11+ but it isn't the same as the Clitheroe / B&R / Lancaster exams.

I know that some people fail don't get Clitheroe etc but get places at Westholme - may well be the other way round too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:09 pm 

Thanks for your reply. I realise it isn't 11+ but have been advised that the school uses similar papers to the 11+. Does anyone know if the pass criteria is as strict as it is at Clitheroe and Lancaster. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 pm 

Westholme has it's own entrance exam in January of year 6 but it is no where near as rigorous as the local 11+ tests. They were very happy to discuss format at the open day we went to. From memory it was essay based not multiple choice.

A boy in my dc's primary class is starting this time and he was middle table ability, didn't sit 11+.