Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:15 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm
Posts: 12
Hi all
this is the question

A bottle contains 150ml juice.Alex drinks 50%more thank Jane and these two friends finish the bottle between them.Calculate how much Alex drinks.I am struggling with this one.in the mark scheme it shows ratio
3:2 .I don't know how that can work.Any help pls

Many thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 8992
Location: Essex
Sulikhan wrote:
Hi all
this is the question

A bottle contains 150ml juice.Alex drinks 50%more thank Jane and these two friends finish the bottle between them.Calculate how much Alex drinks.I am struggling with this one.in the mark scheme it shows ratio
3:2 .I don't know how that can work.Any help pls

Many thanks


Alex drinks half as much again as Jane. So if Jane drinks one unit, Alex drinks one and a half units. Or, to turn Alex's share into whole units, if Jane drinks 2 units, Alex drinks three.

So you have a total of 5 units - divide 150 by 5...? then turn the 3 portions / 2 portions into actual amounts...?

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm
Posts: 12
ToadMum wrote:
Sulikhan wrote:
Hi all
this is the question

A bottle contains 150ml juice.Alex drinks 50%more thank Jane and these two friends finish the bottle between them.Calculate how much Alex drinks.I am struggling with this one.in the mark scheme it shows ratio
3:2 .I don't know how that can work.Any help pls

Many thanks


Alex drinks half as much again as Jane. So if Jane drinks one unit, Alex drinks one and a half units. Or, to turn Alex's share into whole units, if Jane drinks 2 units, Alex drinks three.

So you have a total of 5 units - divide 150 by 5...? then turn the 3 portions / 2 portions into actual amounts...?




hi again

many thanks for the reply.i'm not quite sure how forums work as it's first time doing it.

thanks again
but what about the other 2 friends who have finished it????


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 8992
Location: Essex
Sulikhan wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
Sulikhan wrote:
Hi all
this is the question

A bottle contains 150ml juice.Alex drinks 50%more thank Jane and these two friends finish the bottle between them.Calculate how much Alex drinks.I am struggling with this one.in the mark scheme it shows ratio
3:2 .I don't know how that can work.Any help pls

Many thanks


Alex drinks half as much again as Jane. So if Jane drinks one unit, Alex drinks one and a half units. Or, to turn Alex's share into whole units, if Jane drinks 2 units, Alex drinks three.

So you have a total of 5 units - divide 150 by 5...? then turn the 3 portions / 2 portions into actual amounts...?




hi again

many thanks for the reply.i'm not quite sure how forums work as it's first time doing it.

thanks again
but what about the other 2 friends who have finished it????


Um...

Assuming that's actually a genuine question, these two friends are Alex and Jane? i.e. the two people who have just been named.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:26 pm
Posts: 111
By the way... Reading the questions for the first time,I had the same question - who are these two other friends who finished the bottle.... :lol:

As for the solution - diagram, as usual, is our friend.
Draw Jane's glass as two squares, then Alex' glass will be 3 squares. Here is the ratio from the answer


Last edited by Yes on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:42 pm
Posts: 14
If i do in algebra

Jane = x

Alex = x+x/2 = 3x/2

Total = 150ml

3x/2 +x =150

If i simplify my equation x=60

So alex one is 3x/2 = 90ml

I hope this will help


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm
Posts: 12
gg234 wrote:
If i do in algebra

Jane = x

Alex = x+x/2 = 3x/2

Total = 150ml

3x/2 +x =150

If i simplify my equation x=60

So alex one is 3x/2 = 90ml


hi

thank u very much. it really helped

I hope this will help


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 7401
Location: East Kent
I would definitely draw a diagram to work this sort of question out. KS2 children would not be expected to go straight to algebra and the diagram really helps understanding of the question.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2019