Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skinners V Judd
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:09 am 

I desperately want Skinners' to be the better choice as my son can walk there . Local would be wonderful. However I've looked at every possible angle , and in my limited opinion I can't justify him going to Skinners' with Judd only half an hour away. Hence next Sep he will be catching the train each day and heading to Judd.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:26 am 

I don't know if it is still the case but when we were choosing between Judd and Skinners there were some differences in the curriculum. At that time Skinners learnt French, German and Latin in year 7 whereas Judd didn't start German until year 8. We felt that it was better to have an extra year learning German if there was any chance he would take it as a GCSE. Also Skinners offered Economics as a GCSE which Judd did not, we thought economics would be the sort of subject our son would enjoy. These factors influenced our decision to go for Skinners and yes he did decide to do both German and economics at GCSE. I don't know if there is still differences in the subjects offered at both schools, it may be that Judd offer something that Skinners don't that you are interested in. But definitely something to consider in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:02 am 

Magnet - Skinners is probably the better choice BECAUSE your son can walk there rather than getting a train. The curriculum will change, heads and inspirational teachers come and go, but the journey won't ever change. So many better things to do than spending an hour a day on the bus or train.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:26 am 

Broomleigh wrote:
Magnet - Skinners is probably the better choice BECAUSE your son can walk there rather than getting a train. The curriculum will change, heads and inspirational teachers come and go, but the journey won't ever change. So many better things to do than spending an hour a day on the bus or train.

I agree totally - good school in walking distance is the best of all

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:15 am 

I think it depends where you live. In our case to walk to skinners and get the train to judd is the same amount of time door to door. (And less time in the rain).

There is some risk of the Skinners new pupils not being as academic with the new admissions policy. 360 is not perhaps so ‘super selective’. Does this matter? Maybe to some.

I am still deciding.. a few hours to go. I think the buildings at Judd and the fact they do Latin, German and French from year 7 and the fact that all 3 sciences are taught separately from year 7 will sell it for me. Oh and also the physical space, more place to play at break times.

Terrified of making the wrong decision though!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 am 

I agree that the 30 points above grammar school assessed at Skinners’ could be a concern for some.

It’s is Skinners’ that does Latin, German and French from Year 7 though I believe. Not sure if Judd has changed to do the same.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:08 am 

Pertinent point about looking at the school's GCSE options and sixth form criteria. My son is at TWGSB and catches the school bus at 7.45am. It's never been an issue and the bus journey is actually a highlight for him. He gets home at 4.45pm and still manages homework and after school clubs.

Although the super selective scores indicate great intelligence, they are tested in a really narrow field so a 410 kid may bomb at music or history, for example. I personally loved Judd but I viewed in terms of I would have loved to have gone there personally. The decision should rest with your child if the choice is Judd v Skinners - both excellent schools and neither a bad choice. Has he got a gut feeling?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:09 am 

mum24 wrote:
I agree that the 30 points above grammar school assessed at Skinners’ could be a concern for some.

It’s is Skinners’ that does Latin, German and French from Year 7 though I believe. Not sure if Judd has changed to do the same.

Yep, Judd does all 3 from yr 7. I understood that Skinners does French and German from yr7 and Latin from yr 8.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:12 am 

Herewego1 wrote:

Yep, Judd does all 3 from yr 7. I understood that Skinners does French and German from yr7 and Latin from yr 8.

My Y7 son is doing German, French and Latin/Classics at Skinners'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:27 am 

PanicMode wrote:
Herewego1 wrote:

My Y7 son is doing German, French and Latin/Classics at Skinners'.

Ah! Thank you, I must have misunderstood.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next