Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skinners V Judd
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:50 pm 

Skinners’ Progress 8 score is 0.61 and Judd’s is 0.48, so the boys at Skinners’ made more progress than the boys at Judd.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:54 pm 

And Skinners’ EBacc score was 7.03 where Judd’s was 6.88 so actual achievement was higher at GCSE too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:12 pm 

Both my ds qualified for both schools. They both chose Skinners' even though from here Judd would have been an easier journey. They are very different boys the elder is bright but needs prodding and the younger is highly academic, Skinners' has suited both of them both academically and socially.

Your son will get an exceptional education at either school so go for the one that he likes the best. In this instance I don't think that you can really make a wrong decision.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:22 pm 

Go to both websites. Take a look at their respective Gcse and A level results and see for yourself. At the top end Judd annhillate them. Also consider the %that head to Oxbridge, again a no brainer.
Have a look over at least 5 years to give a consistent view.
The figures are there for everyone to read.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:36 pm 

I agree that in the last few years, since the new format 11+, the scores for Judd & Skinners have been similar. But prior to that, the score for Judd was higher. All the current GCSE/ A level cohorts are still from the old style 11+, so I do not think you are comparing equal cohorts when you compare results. Also remember that the requirements to stay at Judd for sixth form are markedly higher than those for Skinners, meaning the sixth form cohorts are certainly not comparable. It is something to consider too, the requirements for sixth form. Yes, more children do move now, but it is not something you want to be forced to do, even when you have achieved respectable GCSE's. To stay at Judd you need superb GCSE results, and much as we all hope that for our children, it may not happen.
My DS is in year 11 at Skinners and is very happy and doing very well academically. I cannot recommend the school highly enough. I think both are great schools, and the potential is certainly there to do very well at both schools. Choose the school that suits your DS the best. Where he is happy, he will thrive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:41 pm 

So from these posts I feel that Judd is potentially more competitive and perhaps pressured, but for the right child these are not bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:49 pm 

Also your very bright children would be quite capable of getting to Oxford or Cambridge from a school which recorded much worse results for its pupils as a whole than either of these top schools. But they will have a much more pleasant experience doing it at either Judd or Skinners.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:38 am 

Magnet wrote:
Go to both websites. Take a look at their respective Gcse and A level results and see for yourself. At the top end Judd annhillate them. Also consider the %that head to Oxbridge, again a no brainer.
Have a look over at least 5 years to give a consistent view.
The figures are there for everyone to read.

Annhillate is a very strong word !!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:58 am 

Sorry all but I think this is a useless ‘argument’!

If you like Skinners go to Skinners, if you like Judd go to Judd, if you like private go private, and if you want to home school go for it etc.

No matter what you choose, (non Grammar included) as long as it works for you, your child and your family nothing else matters. One fact above all else is to ensure to teach your DS or DD that they can be the best they want to be as long as they work sufficiently hard alongside playing and enjoying their schooling.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:09 am 

doodles wrote:
Your son will get an exceptional education at either school so go for the one that he likes the best. In this instance I don't think that you can really make a wrong decision.

Fibonacci I agree with you, although I also understand the parents of both schools wanting to "sell" their school. At the risk of being impolite, I quote myself :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next