Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Judd
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:13 pm 

Thank you for your replies - we're taking him after half term so we'll see how he feels about it then!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:44 am 

I understand your concern here as I had crossed my mind too.
The question was posed when we visited Judd last week and the admissions lady was very clear that it made no difference at all to their suitability for the school if they were at the bottom end of the cut off and I found her very reassuring in this regard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:47 am 

That’s good to know!
Just wish we could have an idea of the cut off!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:42 pm 

Herewego1 wrote:
That’s good to know!
Just wish we could have an idea of the cut off!

Based on the more limitations calculations you can do this year given the much less comprehensive data that KCC has published in their report, my estimate is that the cut-off for first offer in-area JUDD will be maximum 387 but more likely 385 or 386 (up from 376 last year).

I reached this by calculating that in the 2018 Kent Test report 7.6% (389) of boys in mainstream Kent schools achieved the 376 threshold. In the 2019 report a very similar number (390 boys, 7.5%) of boys in mainstream Kent schools achieved a score of 387. The numbers for the 2019 calculations are based on converting the ranges "5 or less", "7 to 12" etc. into the average - so "up to 5" becomes 2.5 etc.

Of course not all Kent boys are eligible for Judd and the numbers don't include Kent independents which can't be split from OOC scores. But I think this may be the best we can do on calculating a cut-ff prediction.

The reason I think 387 is on the highest score it might be is that it is likely that the "5 or less"s etc. in the very highest scores are likely to be lower than the average of that range (since historically not as many get get very high scores) and instead the "5 or less" figures in the 329 down to 320 are more likley to be higher than the average of 2.5.

This prediction is also consistent with a suggestion on another post by someone else that for TOGS the first offer in-area will be around 379 (up from 371 last year).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:00 pm 

That is useful and interesting!! Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:34 am 

I think it may have been me replying to PMs. Late to the party sorry! I don't want to post too much identifying stuff but happy to say here if your child gets towards the lower end of the qualifying score it doesn't mean they will struggle or not fit in at Judd at all.

My observations have been that there are a large number of very bright very hardworking children with very ambitious parents who will do very well. There are also lots of boys who are bright but lazy and coast. You need to consider if your child would be happy not being top of the class in anything, if this would affect their self esteem or conversely if this would make them step up and achieve their potential. If they got a high 11+ score by fluke or masses of additional help that wouldn't be there from Y7, then you need to consider if they will be able to keep up with the pace of lessons, which at times is not for the faint hearted. Having said that, the pastoral care is exceptional if your son is having issues outside school.

The advantage of Judd having a high score requirement for internal applicants for sixth form is that if they want to stay with their friends, they put the work in.

I'm happy to answer more specific stuff by PM.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:27 am 

Thanks Fortyninepence.

I have put Judd down first.

I do find people say funny things when I say that I have chosen it.. ‘ooh a lot of pressure, or ‘it’s a bit of a hike!’ (Total journey 38 mins door to door!)

Or ‘well if you want your son to be a typical Judd boy!)

It really annoys me! I wasn’t asking these people for their opinion!! (I do note that they never say such things about Skinners!!!)

NB - none of these people have sons at Judd!!

I feel incredibly lucky that my son potentially has the opportunity to go to such an amazing school!!!

Rant over! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:19 am 

I remember the exact same conversations and I ended up very worried that we hadn't made the right choice.

Fortunately, I can now see what a fantastic, nurturing school it is and it genuinely feels like my son won a golden ticket going there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:25 am 

Gcse69 wrote:
I remember the exact same conversations and I ended up very worried that we hadn't made the right choice.

Fortunately, I can now see what a fantastic, nurturing school it is and it genuinely feels like my son won a golden ticket going there.

Thank you! Yes, hearing these unsubstantiated opinions does make me worry! Great to hear that your son is happy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:53 am 

Herewego1 wrote:
Thanks Fortyninepence.

I have put Judd down first.

I do find people say funny things when I say that I have chosen it.. ‘ooh a lot of pressure, or ‘it’s a bit of a hike!’ (Total journey 38 mins door to door!)

Or ‘well if you want your son to be a typical Judd boy!)

It really annoys me! I wasn’t asking these people for their opinion!! (I do note that they never say such things about Skinners!!!)

NB - none of these people have sons at Judd!!

I feel incredibly lucky that my son potentially has the opportunity to go to such an amazing school!!!

Rant over! :D

Another very happy Judd Mum here. There is no " typical Judd boy" and that is one of the school's strengths. It is diverse and there is niche for all the boys. It is a great school with lots of opportunities and if your son gets in I'm sure that he will do just fine. The students are expected to work hard but in my experience ( and I have had several boys at the school) it is not a pressure cooker. I am glad that you have followed your instincts. That said, had you chosen Skinners that too is a great school.