Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:50 pm 

Interesting my 10 y 11 mo old got a standardised score of 139 from 68 in reasoning whereas mum24's got 140. Mine is a late September birthday so I suspect it's not [just] completed months? If it was, that would leave a group of 11 y 0 months children that was half the size of any other (except a similar one of 10 y 0 month olds), which would make standardisation a bit dodgy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:12 pm 

Mine are October born, maybe I should have put them down as 10y 10months?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:15 pm 

mum24 wrote:
Mine are October born, maybe I should have put them down as 10y 10months?

Or we should all just be saying 'September born, 'January born' etc rather than giving age in years and months on these threads?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:32 pm 

Yes, I think we probably should!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:01 pm 

I think someone further up the thread said it's counted in months from the date of the month the test was taken, eg the Kent Test was on 12 Sept so if your child's birthday was, say 13 October, they'd count as 10 yrs 11 months but if their birthday was 11 October, they'd count as 10 yrs 10 months...which would be slightly ridiculous in itself but who knows?! All a bit of a minefield!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:11 pm 

I think that might be the wrong way round? A child born on the 11th is older than a child born on the 13th.

I had assumed that it was true that it was based on whole months completed, but from the information from my DS and sorrel’s DD I no longer believe this is true.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:32 pm 

Yes sorry! Wrong way round!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 pm 

countrylifeKat wrote:
Broomleigh - agree with you on almost every point. Just one correction - private schools are not allowed to prepare children for the Kent test either. It is not for me to comment whether some defy the rules and do so anyway as I do not have any evidence of this, but my kid went to local private school and I can tell you that they do absolutely nothing to prepare the kids, outside of the usual year 5 curriculum. To the point where the school will not even discuss the 11+. It is made very clear that it is a parental decision to take it and prepare for it outside of school.

Mine went to an independent school and I can tell you right now she was “prepared” for the kent test.

Or was it just extra lessons put on for certain subjects outside normal school time.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:00 am 

Moonrakers wrote:
countrylifeKat wrote:
Broomleigh - agree with you on almost every point. Just one correction - private schools are not allowed to prepare children for the Kent test either. It is not for me to comment whether some defy the rules and do so anyway as I do not have any evidence of this, but my kid went to local private school and I can tell you that they do absolutely nothing to prepare the kids, outside of the usual year 5 curriculum. To the point where the school will not even discuss the 11+. It is made very clear that it is a parental decision to take it and prepare for it outside of school.

Mine went to an independent school and I can tell you right now she was “prepared” for the kent test.

Or was it just extra lessons put on for certain subjects outside normal school time.....

Well, there's some proof for you, countrylifeKat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:33 pm 

Our local prep school brought their year 6’s back a week early at the end of August to do a week of 11+ prep. Such an unfair system. Interestingly, one of the maths teachers at a local grammar school said that the prop school children are the hardest to teach because they aren’t innately bright, they have just been taught how to pass the test.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next