Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:52 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:29 pm
Posts: 21
Glos18 wrote:
Interesting. Is co-ed a red line for you or DC? I went to a very selective all girls school in London. There were pros/cons of single sex education, but by far the biggest social issue was the fact that most of my school friends lived a long journey away from me (not whether these friends were male or female). I would have done anything to be able to pop round the corner to see friends like the comp kids did. Marling /SHS would offer a much more local set of friends that Crypt. If it was my child, the short journey would win the day, but as you say, we all have our own red lines :)


Co-ed is a red line for him. Marling would be so much easier. This is a potential in-year move. He is actually at an indepdent school that isn't working out. He was offered a place at Crypt and we decided against it (he was enthusiastic) but he is not happy and we are considering other options.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:57 pm
Posts: 45
Gosh, that is hard. From an outsider's point of view, the obvious choice would be Thomas Keble, although I presume you have very good reasons to not choose a school that is so close to you. I would get him to try the commute to a few of the possible schools, have a look around them on a normal school day, and see what he thinks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:20 am
Posts: 415
laurenceneville wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
There is a bunch of Ribston and Crypt children that get the 63..if you pick it up from merry walks or even somewhere along to Whiteshill is not a long journey.. Mine go to Ribston but the Crypt kids get off at St Barnabus roundabout on the far side so no big roads to tackle.. and i guess its a 10 min walk to school..the 63 is a public bus and runs every half an hour, which has been great for after school stuff ..stage coach do an app which tells you live info when the bus is due...

Sound good. Looking on the map, it seems you would get off at St Barnabas or Tuffley Avenue - Google maps says it is about 18 minutes walk but I suspect there is a short cut: does anyone know?


Yes, there are a couple of alleyways (think they are grassed as opposed to concrete) to cut through in Tuffley Avenue. There is a housing estate (either still being developed or it may be finished by now) just by the railway bridge in Stroud Road where there always was a good short cut as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:29 pm
Posts: 21
cazien wrote:
laurenceneville wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
There is a bunch of Ribston and Crypt children that get the 63..if you pick it up from merry walks or even somewhere along to Whiteshill is not a long journey.. Mine go to Ribston but the Crypt kids get off at St Barnabus roundabout on the far side so no big roads to tackle.. and i guess its a 10 min walk to school..the 63 is a public bus and runs every half an hour, which has been great for after school stuff ..stage coach do an app which tells you live info when the bus is due...

Sound good. Looking on the map, it seems you would get off at St Barnabas or Tuffley Avenue - Google maps says it is about 18 minutes walk but I suspect there is a short cut: does anyone know?


Yes, there are a couple of alleyways (think they are grassed as opposed to concrete) to cut through in Tuffley Avenue. There is a housing estate (either still being developed or it may be finished by now) just by the railway bridge in Stroud Road where there always was a good short cut as well.


Thanks Cazien. Very useful.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:29 pm
Posts: 21
Glos18 wrote:
Gosh, that is hard. From an outsider's point of view, the obvious choice would be Thomas Keble, although I presume you have very good reasons to not choose a school that is so close to you. I would get him to try the commute to a few of the possible schools, have a look around them on a normal school day, and see what he thinks.


I love the idea of a short commute but Thomas Keble would definately not work for him: he is grammar material and was offered places but for various reasons went elsewhere (our choice rather than his - it turns out he might have had the better judgement). The journey to the Crypt would be similar to his current journey, so he is used to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:55 am
Posts: 51
I’ve just seen that there will be a direct bus to Crypt starting this summer (64) which might help?
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-an ... ce-changes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:29 pm
Posts: 21
authormum wrote:
I’ve just seen that there will be a direct bus to Crypt starting this summer (64) which might help?
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-an ... ce-changes


Thanks authormum. very kind.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2019