Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:06 am 

Thanks Jearund. We haven't booked a mock, but we're going to do some of the 45 minute cgp test papers. We are going to do some of the CGP practice papers at home, think the main aim at the moment is lengthening the amount of time she works at a test to get up to 45 minutes or so.

Ribston is her first choice, so it will be a case of waiting to see how the test goes and take it from there. I like the idea of a co-ed school more. The taster days were definitely a good pr move :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:37 pm 

Brackenboo, my dd is at Ribston - that was her first choice too and it was definitely the right school for her. In the event she could have gone to any of them except Pates but knowing she wanted Ribston anyway meant that as soon as she got her ranking (which was 291, and they went down to well into the 500s) we knew she was pretty certain of a place, which was a huge relief. She didn't do a mock either. With DS it feels like there is more riding on it because he wants Pates - that was never a consideration for DD but he is more academic than she is and his teachers think he's capable, but we all know how well you have to do on the day to get in! He's decided he'd like to do a second mock to have another go at timings so we'll probably do that in August.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:22 pm 

jearund wrote:
Brackenboo, my dd is at Ribston - that was her first choice too and it was definitely the right school for her. In the event she could have gone to any of them except Pates but knowing she wanted Ribston anyway meant that as soon as she got her ranking (which was 291, and they went down to well into the 500s) we knew she was pretty certain of a place, which was a huge relief. She didn't do a mock either. With DS it feels like there is more riding on it because he wants Pates - that was never a consideration for DD but he is more academic than she is and his teachers think he's capable, but we all know how well you have to do on the day to get in! He's decided he'd like to do a second mock to have another go at timings so we'll probably do that in August.

Is there a general consensus that only kids who are academic thrive at Pates? wondering how would kids who are creative/sporty but not necessarily academic cope if they happen to get into.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:09 pm 

Personally I think DC's have to be academic to survive at any of the Grammars. I have known DC's who have been asked to leave Grammars because they fail to cope with the standards expected. I guess Pates would have slightly higher 'standards' to maintain and would welcome the addition of sporty/creative/arty/musical children who have qualified.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:32 pm 

I wouldn’t describe my son or many of his friends as particularly academic at Pates. If they pass the test they will cope. May need a nudge in the right direction now and then which is mainly dealt with by the school. I rarely get involved. His results are ‘o.k’, some kids study a lot more and get higher end of year results accordingly. At the end of the day they all do the same GcSE’s Etc as everyone else. Some do well because they are engaged / motivated, others because very bright and others because they work hard. Overall Pates does have a great learning environment and seems relaxed to me but if struggled pick up on it sooner rather than later so it doesn’t become big issue / get too behind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:20 pm 

DS has completely lost motivation :(

He recently did a mock, and was above average but now says he doesn’t want to try. It’s a shame as he loved Crypt and Pates when we looked round it. I can leave it for a few weeks and not talk about it at all, but feel we need to do some work over the summer?!

Any advice? He’s had a tutor one hour a week since January then we’ve done the odd bits with him but certainly not every night, and some weeks he’s chosen independently to pick up the books but now he’s not interested at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:54 pm 

Mamaofthree are you still having the tutoring? Our tutoring is a bit hit and miss at the moment, but we picked up some booklets from Ribston which my DD has gone through the maths one. I find sometimes she is motivated and sometimes not. I'm confident that she has picked up most of the maths, so just thinking we can talk vocab when we read and hopefully keep going with some of the 10 minute tests, maybe 3 a week?

Over the summer I want to try and get her to do some of the CGP practise tests, but we'll see how that goes :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:12 pm 

Brackenboo wrote:
Mamaofthree are you still having the tutoring? Our tutoring is a bit hit and miss at the moment, but we picked up some booklets from Ribston which my DD has gone through the maths one. I find sometimes she is motivated and sometimes not. I'm confident that she has picked up most of the maths, so just thinking we can talk vocab when we read and hopefully keep going with some of the 10 minute tests, maybe 3 a week?

Over the summer I want to try and get her to do some of the CGP practise tests, but we'll see how that goes :)

The tutoring is stopping over the summer so planned to do 10 minute tests plus a few full practice papers but he seems really anti it now which is such a shame as he was doing really well. I’m thinking about not mentioning it for a few weeks then trying again! I don’t want to push him but he liked the schools and he’s been doing well so it’s a shame he’s had a change of heart at this stage.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am 

Not long to go now until the test!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:59 pm 

I know, I'm not sure if we are having any more tutoring sessions, so my plan is to aim for at least 3 10 minute tests a week. Go over any maths she doesn't get in those, generally she is between 10 and 12 out of 12. The VR paper is where we need to do more work at the moment...
Then going to aim to do about 3 of the CGP practice tests over the next however many weeks using the online instructions to get her used to that.

Hopefully that and general reading etc will be enough and leave lots of time for fun.

What are others planning?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next