Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:53 am 

Went round our closest school yesterday which under a new head seems to have come on leaps and bounds, but it seems so strict just to get kids in a position to learn. Also made me realise how much my DD wants to go to grammar, this wait is killing me...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:08 pm 

Do you mean Ribston? If so, would you mind to let me know more about the school please. I haven't been able to visit it.
I can see new head is into STEM which my daughter loves... perhaps we should be considering this school as well
Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:24 pm 

Sorry, no I meant our local non grammar option Henley Bank. Ribston is the grammar of choice at the moment. My DD likes the feel of the place and it seemed very welcoming. They have an open day after the results come out so if we get a suitable ranking we will have another look then

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:35 pm 

Brackenboo wrote:
Sorry, no I meant our local non grammar option Henley Bank. Ribston is the grammar of choice at the moment. My DD likes the feel of the place and it seemed very welcoming. They have an open day after the results come out so if we get a suitable ranking we will have another look then

Ribston - Wednesday 16 October - Teas and Tours will take place between 2:40pm and 3:25pm. - Apologies this is for sixth form entry.
Date for Yr7 entry is Tuesday 22 October, morning and evening times to be arranged (thank you Eddie).

Crypt - Wednesday 16 October - Open Morning: Headmaster's Talk at 9.30am and 11.30am (booking required). Open Evening: 5.30pm-8.00pm (booking not required). To book your place for the open morning, please call 01452 530291 or email lprice@crypt.gloucs.sch.uk

Denmark - Thursday 10 October - Open morning - 8.30 - 11.00 am, open evening - 5.00 - 8.00 pm

Last edited by cazien on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:05 pm 

Brackenboo wrote:

The same head/group took over our local school (he's now moved onto Henley Bank) I believe now the culture has change in our local school, and whilst it's seemed extremely strict, almost army boot camp like to start with, things have now settled down and it is a much better school than it was.
The Progress 8 for this year's GSCEs look to be in line with those of Ribston.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:18 pm 

That's good to know Phoenix-Mum as it did seem a bit boot camp like. Their progress 8 is comparable to Ribston, but they didn't go into detail with results. I'm much more comfortable with it as a back-up than I was when we started the process

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:25 pm 

Does anyone know if Denmark Rd will have an open day after the results are out? I want to visit with DD again, but not unless we know if she has a chance of going!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:51 pm 

chumba wrote:
Does anyone know if Denmark Rd will have an open day after the results are out? I want to visit with DD again, but not unless we know if she has a chance of going!

I hope so as I couldn't go on one a couple of days before the results come out

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:34 pm 

Brackenboo wrote:
Went round our closest school yesterday which under a new head seems to have come on leaps and bounds, but it seems so strict just to get kids in a position to learn. Also made me realise how much my DD wants to go to grammar, this wait is killing me...

The wait is killing me too! I just want to fast forward to 11 October and know the result!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:37 pm 

Brackenboo wrote:
chumba wrote:

I hope so as I couldn't go on one a couple of days before the results come out

Tommy's is before the results come out too, which is a shame as I don't want to take DS back round a school for him to potentially decide he'd prefer that over Crypt and then find out a few days later that it's not an option.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next