Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:42 pm 

reach4thesky wrote:
We have for Denmark Road.

We got the Pates information yesterday. Interestingly, they provide the pencils and rubbers! I'm sure Ribston didn't do this when DD took the test there 2 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:35 am 

You're right, we bring our own pencil etc for Ribston

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:42 am 

jearund wrote:
reach4thesky wrote:

We got the Pates information yesterday. Interestingly, they provide the pencils and rubbers! I'm sure Ribston didn't do this when DD took the test there 2 years ago.

I would recommend taking your own as well
I remember reading an appeal last year where the room only had a couple of rubbers for all the children to share, and they had to raise their hand and wait for the rubber each time to make a correction.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:20 pm 

Does anyone know if we should let someone know about extenuating circumstances before the exam, or just use them in an appeal if our DS does score as highly as we hoped/expected?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:29 pm 

Mamaofthree wrote:
Does anyone know if we should let someone know about extenuating circumstances before the exam, or just use them in an appeal if our DS does score as highly as we hoped/expected?

I'm not sure, may be best to phone and ask?
The identity form you have to sign says the child is fit and well to take the test that day

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:43 pm 

DS did his second mock today. He thought he did well on the test - until he got to the end of one of the sections and realised he must have missed a question out somewhere as there was still a space at the bottom. He then didn't have time to work out where this had happened so all of his answers will have been wrong for that section. I'm so glad this was only a mock but he did the same thing on an early practice paper and if he does that on the test then it could cost him his place all for a technical error. I would appeal in those circumstances but I don't know how sympathetic they would be if other children manage to put the answers in the right place! The fact this has happened twice is worrying. I don't know if he might scrape through if he did very well on the rest of the paper - I suppose it would depend how far into the test the error occurred. Hoping desperately that this doesn't happen next week, and that he is not too disappointed at what will now be a lower mock score than he was hoping for.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:46 pm 

Phoenix-Mum wrote:
jearund wrote:
reach4thesky wrote:

I would recommend taking your own as well
I remember reading an appeal last year where the room only had a couple of rubbers for all the children to share, and they had to raise their hand and wait for the rubber each time to make a correction.

Phoenixmum, thank you very much for this tip, I will definitely do that now!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:33 am 

That's a tricky one Jearund. Perhaps this week get him to try answering questions in the wrong order so he gets better at checking the question number when he marks it.

We've only done Mock type papers at home, so who knows what will happen on the day.

With extenuating circumstances I guess if it's affected prep before the exam then it would be info for an appeal if needed, not sure what you would do if it affects the day itself e.g being I'll but they take the test?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:07 am 

If you have extenuating circumstances that do NOT preclude the child from taking the test, it is important to make sure your school (and the LEA if possible) are aware - then if you get to an appeal, it doesn't look like you are pulling a rabbit out of the hat. Extenuating circs generally need to be evidenced by something. Remember you can win an appeal with NO ext circs but lots of academic evidnece, but not the other way round.

If the ext circs mean your child should not be sitting the test (ie they are not well) then do NOT let them sit the test. You are asked to sign a fit and well sheet as they enter - if you sign it, you cannot then go back and say actually they weren't well....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:58 am 

kenyancowgirl wrote:
If you have extenuating circumstances that do NOT preclude the child from taking the test, it is important to make sure your school (and the LEA if possible) are aware - then if you get to an appeal, it doesn't look like you are pulling a rabbit out of the hat. Extenuating circs generally need to be evidenced by something. Remember you can win an appeal with NO ext circs but lots of academic evidnece, but not the other way round.

If the ext circs mean your child should not be sitting the test (ie they are not well) then do NOT let them sit the test. You are asked to sign a fit and well sheet as they enter - if you sign it, you cannot then go back and say actually they weren't well....

I suppose the exception to the latter would be if, say, the child suffered from a chronic condition which would likely not be any better on the reserve date, but there should definitely be a discussion with the appropriate authority in advance, or at least on the day (for an issue arising acutely).

Btw, 'Granny was ill, so Mum didn't have time to take him to his tutor for the six weeks leading up to the exam' is an example of an aspect of an 'extenuating circumstance' perhaps better not mentioned...

Last edited by ToadMum on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next