Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:00 pm 

jain236 wrote:
Stateschooled wrote:
Hi Jain236 - Both schools are very good, however longer term I would consider the most convenient school for the whole family. In my view a long commute makes children tired and less productive. Can I ask what CSSE standardised score your daughter got?

She got 352

I visited both schools and I found atmosphere in Chelmsford was happier and relaxed. I found racial mix in students well-balanced and they have some interesting curriculum that is not offered in other school such as politics. The head stepped down and deputy head took over now and You can see he has already laid out new visions for the school on website. It is interesting to see how this change will impact the school overall. Their ranking in the league table has been very steady at around national ranking 20 and fair amount of students seem to go for medicine, dentistry according to their info booklet. Definitely easy to travel to and fro especially to London via train. I would have preferred if there had not been alternative choice for my daughter. The only downside I felt was that the size of library and status of building. Some Buildings were on their last leg although they are doing something about it but library and art room facilities were not something I would have desired if I had been bookish or artsy student.
Whereas.... head of Colchester county made a point of maintaining facilities well as it is a reflection of the mindset that you want your pupil to have. Definitely Colchester county high is not for fainted heart. They are full on, determined , organised and certainly aim high -results show as they climb higher in the league table year on year ( last year GCSE national ranking 6th and overall national ranking 15th)but the downside is that I hear the students who trail behind will have very hard time. Growing problem with mental health issues and pressure to get 9s otherwise they might have to retake the GCSE sounds very tough. The library (again -perhaps I am unjustifiably judging theirs to independent school libraries) is not the best but they make up for it as they have a list of questions at the back of the book for pupil who borrows the book has to answer for their understanding /comprehension, which I found that is an extra mile for school to go for pupil. Cooking room, music recording facilities and sports field are all very good. travelling is a bit painful as Lexden road is Mecca of schools and it is always congested with students and parents during school run hours.

Last edited by Wearesmashingit on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:18 pm 

What on earth would be the point of the school making pupils resit GCSEs? Only the first sitting score counts for the school's figures.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:09 am 

Wearesmashingit wrote:
jain236 wrote:
Stateschooled wrote:
Hi Jain236 - Both schools are very good, however longer term I would consider the most convenient school for the whole family. In my view a long commute makes children tired and less productive. Can I ask what CSSE standardised score your daughter got?

She got 352

I visited both schools and I found atmosphere in Chelmsford was happier and relaxed. I found racial mix in students well-balanced and they have some interesting curriculum that is not offered in other school such as politics. The head stepped down and deputy head took over now and You can see he has already laid out new visions for the school on website. It is interesting to see how this change will impact the school overall. Their ranking in the league table has been very steady at around rational ranking 20 and fair amount of students seem to go for medicine, dentistry according to their info booklet. Definitely easy to travel to and fro especially to London via train. I would have preferred if there had not been alternative choice for my daughter. The only downside I felt was that the size of library and status of building. Some Buildings were on their last leg although they are doing something about it but library and art room facilities were not something I would have desired if I had been bookish or artsy student.
Whereas.... head of Colchester county made a point of maintaining facilities well as it is a reflection of the mindset that you want your pupil to have. Definitely Colchester county high is not for fainted heart. They are full on, determined , organised and certainly aim high -results show as they climb higher in the league table year on year ( last year GCSE national ranking 6th and overall national ranking 15th)but the downside is that I hear the students who trail behind will have very hard time. Growing problem with mental health issues and pressure to get 9s otherwise they might have to retake the GCSE sounds very tough. The library (again -perhaps I am unjustifiably judging theirs to independent school libraries) is not the best but they make up for it as they have a list of questions at the back of the book for pupil who borrows the book has to answer for their understanding /comprehension, which I found that is an extra mile for school to go for pupil. Cooking room, music recording facilities and sports field are all very good. travelling is a bit painful as Lexden road is Mecca of schools and it is always congested with students and parents during school run hours.

Thank for your response it's informative and constructive feedback. Much appreciated

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:26 pm 

ToadMum wrote:
What on earth would be the point of the school making pupils resit GCSEs? Only the first sitting score counts for the school's figures.

Perhaps the school simply wants to give its pupils second chance to improve their results regardless of what counts for the school figures (although I believe sitting any GCSE twice is a bit too much....)?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:08 pm 

Both results would have to be declared ( to Universities and strictly speaking to any potential employers ) so there seems little point unless a minimum ( previously C grade pass) is required for entry. It seems unlikely that any pupil at a super-selective would not manage a 'pass' grade in the core subjects at GCSE on first attempt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:25 pm 

My DD3 is in year 7 at CCHSg and my DD1 is in year 11 at CCHS.
No pressure on DD3 at all (so far) and definitely no talk of girls being forced to retake GCSEs to get 9’s......as others have said there wouldn’t be any point!!
DD1 likes CCHS but is considering moving for 6th form purely because she wants a change of scenery and she wants to annoy her brother who’s at SHSB 6th form. CCHS has dated buildings but have recently had new buildings too.
CCHSg have had a new sports hall and swimming pool recently.

Each of the schools have their good bits and their bad bits like any school does.
Be careful not to listen to rumours in the playground, visit both schools with your DD and see what she feels about them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:33 pm 

pinkrabbit38 wrote:

Each of the schools have their good bits and their bad bits like any school does.
Be careful not to listen to rumours in the playground, visit both schools with your DD and see what she feels about them.

Unfortunately, at this juncture, that would presumably only mean peering in through the gates- I can't see the skeleton office staff at any school offering a personal tour during half term?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:50 pm 

ToadMum wrote:
pinkrabbit38 wrote:

Unfortunately, at this juncture, that would presumably only mean peering in through the gates- I can't see the skeleton office staff at any school offering a personal tour during half term?

Haven’t read the whole thread I just presumed at this late stage we were talking about next years test for 2021 intake.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:13 pm 

pinkrabbit38 wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
pinkrabbit38 wrote:

Haven’t read the whole thread I just presumed at this late stage we were talking about next years test for 2021 intake.

Ooh, you are a one :lol: as my dear old Mum used to say...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:23 pm 

New library and art studios are part of CCHSG development plan and should be finished by September 2020 according to latest newsletter.

I can’t offer you any advice on school choice from a comparison standpoint, we didn’t look at CCHS for DD for a number of reasons. I haven’t heard of forced resits at CCHSG if 9s aren’t achieved, sounds a bit nonsensical to me. What I have noticed is that CCHSG pile on the pressure slowly over the years and that excellence is expected from every girl. The approach definitely doesn’t suit everybody and there are some very happy girls and some who really struggle. Unfortunately the school does seem to attract a lot of families who care more about the cachet of having a daughter there than what might be best for the daughter.

DD likes it and has found her niche, but I wouldn’t have wanted to add a lot of travel to her school day on top of her work burden and the extra effort she has to make to see friends and generally keep up school friendships.