Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:43 pm 

My DD scored 326.1 , from a church of england rural primary within 5 miles of colchester, shes 100th on the waiting list
her local comp is terrible

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:19 am 

My DD is based at a local co7 primary school, she was offered a place on the 1st March.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:03 am 

Agree with you Proudmumregardless.

We have the Ypres trip coming up for DD1. Not looking forward to dropping her of around 4am and then collecting near to midnight and we only live 10 mins from the school!

I also know of one child, currently in year 7, who has been struggling (comes on a coach from the London area) and she has been in tears several times. The family have now decided to relocate to Colchester.

I think expecting an 11 year old child to commute to school is quite cruel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:28 am 

I agree too

I’m sure standards would not be significantly compromised if a catchment area was introduced. It can’t be best for the child enduring a long, difficult commute. Do you think a change will come eventually?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:36 am 

Sadly that will not help any of us this year but eventually you would hope so.
Saffery13 wrote:
I agree too

I’m sure standards would not be significantly compromised if a catchment area was introduced. It can’t be best for the child enduring a long, difficult commute. Do you think a change will come eventually?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:00 pm 

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your recent request for information which has received by Essex County Council.

Your request is covered by the Freedom of Information Act, under which we must respond within 20 working days.

We will determine and let you know whether we hold the information you have requested and consider whether we are able to release the information or if it is exempt from disclosure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:45 pm 

Saffery13 wrote:
I’m sure standards would not be significantly compromised if a catchment area was introduced.

Depends on what you meant by ‘standards’, but I would suggest that the difference in cutoffs between i/c and o/c for e.g. KEGS, WHSB and WHSG, may imply otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:03 pm 

By standards I suppose I meant exam results. At GCSE the highest grade anyone can achieve is a 9 and I’m not sure the 11+ one day snap shot, with the differential of tutored to death or not, performance on the day is the best indicator.

5 years is a long time.

At the Chelmsford schools do the I/c children with their lower 11+ marks achieve significantly lower GCSE grades 5 years later? I suspect not?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:20 am 

Saffery13 wrote:
By standards I suppose I meant exam results. At GCSE the highest grade anyone can achieve is a 9 and I’m not sure the 11+ one day snap shot, with the differential of tutored to death or not, performance on the day is the best indicator.

5 years is a long time.

At the Chelmsford schools do the I/c children with their lower 11+ marks achieve significantly lower GCSE grades 5 years later? I suspect not?

Just playing devil’s advocate here:

It’s been quite a while since I did my GCSEs, but aren’t most of the subject exams 1day snapshots as well?

Children are also tutored for GCSEs/A-levels and I’m not sure what 5years has to do with anything.

“...suspect...”? Need evidence.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:28 pm 

My daughters school is in CO1 . She was the only one from her school to obtain a place.