Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:50 pm 

Here’s an idea. What if all Essex grammar schools were reserved for only children living in Essex, and a catchment area didn’t apply to children living in Essex? I think some boroughs and counties do restrict applications to children living there. For example, I don’t think that Essex children apply to Kent schools?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:27 pm 

Wouldn't that be nice! Sadly I suspect it would just bump up house prices as the londoners move out to the Essex borders.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:09 pm 

SuperDad3g wrote:
Here’s an idea. What if all Essex grammar schools were reserved for only children living in Essex, and a catchment area didn’t apply to children living in Essex? I think some boroughs and counties do restrict applications to children living there. For example, I don’t think that Essex children apply to Kent schools?

You’d be interested to know that there are indeed Essex parents who apply to Kent schools, particularly those closest to the Essex / South London border. There are also Essex parents who apply for the schools in North London such as QE or HBS. One would think that if the poor child doesn’t manage to get into an Essex grammar, that perhaps this education style isn’t suited to them! :P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:51 pm 

My friend's son's class at Gravesend Grammar School has the 14 boys in his year who commute on the ferry every day from the Tilbury area. As the crow flies they don't live that far away, as after parishes, places go on distance. When the Gravesend-Tilbury ferry doesn't run then the boys miss school as in seems none of the parents can be bothered to get up early enough to drive them to school via the Dartford Crossing. Several times my friend has put 2 boys up overnight when the ferry has been cancelled for the return crossing!

My cousin's son goes to Dartford Grammar and knows a couple of boys who come from Essex but I don't know where they're from. They scored very highly so got one of the high scoring places, not distance places, and the parents haven't moved over the Thames to be nearer the school.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:17 am 

SuperDad3g wrote:

I'll think you will find that the children do apply to Kent .. in fact people seem to apply all over the place. However it really is better for children not to travel too far to school, takes up a huge amount of the day and stops them getting involved in extra-curricular activities.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:32 am 

hermanmunster wrote:
SuperDad3g wrote:

I'll think you will find that the children do apply to Kent .. in fact people seem to apply all over the place. However it really is better for children not to travel too far to school, takes up a huge amount of the day and stops them getting involved in extra-curricular activities.

And you will also find that restricting applications to those living within the administrative area of a school is unlawful, even though schools are at liberty to give priority for places to those within a defined area if said area can be shown to comply with admissions law.

Along with all the really mean choices that parents make for their DC with regard to journeys to and from school just because they can, there will be a lot of perfectly sensible ones that could no longer be made if such a restriction were to be allowed.

Tough luck, Benfleet Girl - no more half hour train and walk to an ic place at SHSG for you; you'll just have to get the train to Basildon and then sit on the no.100 for an hour to get to your non-priority circle place at CCHS, or try to get mum and dad at least to splash out on the X10. Sadly for you, for education purposes, the Southend and Westcliff grammars are in the unitary authority of Southend on Sea, so we are no longer offering places to those living in the Essex County Council area. (Just an example).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:21 am 

I recently wondered the same thing and was hoping to find the answer on here - @FTP12, did you get a reply from the council to your FOI request for info on how many local children are admitted into CCHSG each year? Thanks!