Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Age Standardisation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:47 pm 

And unless the CSSE are still in the midst of drafting a formal response(s) to some of the queries raised by forum members, the ‘radio silence’ speaks volumes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:32 pm 

DSDSDD wrote:
@ kenyancowgirl - are you a statistician? What is your experience of age-standardisation?

W.r.t. the manner in which CSSE have implemented it on this occasion, if the rationale for age-standardisation is that summer-born children have less ‘living experience’ than winter-born children, then when age-standardisation is applied, younger children will ALWAYS be awarded more ‘age-standardisation points’ than their elders within the cohort.

It is not based on a perceived difference. It is based on a statistical difference. Essex spent many years denying there was any statistical difference and only introduced age standardisation when forced to do so by the School Adjudicator. I linked to the report earlier.

Edit to add https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... h_2018.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:33 pm 

DSDSDD wrote:
And unless the CSSE are still in the midst of drafting a formal response(s) to some of the queries raised by forum members, the ‘radio silence’ speaks volumes.

Doesn't it just!
I don't even know who they are accountable to otherwise I would have escalated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:52 pm 

Being one of the "lucky ones" who were offered Kegs with 356 I feel most would feel "cheated" by the fact that

1. The Consortium had the new inflated scores (10 to the left/10 to the right/5 mid)
2. Could have sent out a NEW updated traffic light

Due to this, parents made secondary applications in ranking order with misleading information.

IF a new traffic light system would have been sent with the scores... moving the scores up

For example

2018 KEGS i/c now 2019 KEGS i/c
amber 334 now amber 339
yellow 338 now yellow 343
green 345 now green 350

and If knew I only obtained 340 I WOULD NEVER HAVE PUT KEGS AS MY FIRST CHOICE. Your total application would have changed. Parents are distraught, misled and up in arms because the consortium failed them and their child by issuing misleading information.

BUT due to the trustworthy traffic light - we chose to put down all 4 grammars and then perhaps another two other alternatives. Some were offered no 4 instead of 1 due to the shift in numbers. Some only put down one (I know one parent) who put down only KEGS (yes very risky- but ) as her DS scored 345.123 - guess what - she did not get an offer from KEGs. I'm sure if the 2019 traffic light told her 350 i/c for 2019 is not the norm, a much more informative choice would have been made.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:40 am 

Apologies if I've missed it amongst the various threads/posts, but does anybody know [if] when the CSSE last implemented age-standardisation?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:56 am 

It would have been helpful if they had updated the information in light of the changes but nobody is guaranteed a place at GS and the information is offered as guidance.

Occasionally and for a number of reason, the scores required drops. If people have limited their choices to the guidance and not applied they would have missed out on a place.

I’m afraid I struggle to have any sympathy at all for the parent who listed ONE School on their CAF.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:21 am 

mitasol wrote:
... the scores required drops.

I’ve asked before but nobody responded convincingly. Why would age-standardisation require scores to be ‘dropped’ when the whole argument for it is that younger children are disadvantaged due to less “living experienece”?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:30 am 

I was not particularly thinking of age standardisation. The most usual reason is that anomalous high scores one year make people make more conservative choices the next year. Then the scores fall below what would be expected. Another would be when the LA requests the school to take an additional class. The pressure on places (birth rate). There are many reasons for fluctuations.

Edit to add - From the way they have detailed their age standardisation process. It should have been absolutely clear that it would inflate the scores and they could have given more appropriate guidance. I can’t find the guidance sheet for this year but from memory it is summary of scores required to be allocated in the previous years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:07 pm 

Here you go....

https://www.csse.org.uk/images/simplefilemanager/5bc4aabf50d544.58282671/Historical%20Guidance%20Sheet%202019%20Entry.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:11 pm 

So in all fairness to CSSE they have given the usual guidance for what would have secured a place in previous years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next