Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:02 pm 

Hi Pilchard

I shouldn't worry - they all (or nearly all) found the maths hard, according to my DD and her friends. My DD said that the maths was much harder than the practice and that, in contrast, the VR was easier for her.

She said that she guessed about 6 of the maths questions (which of course could be about 16!) and that there were some things in the paper which just didn't make sense to her at all.

In contrast, the VR was much easier compared to last time and she only guessed 1 (or so she said). I think that this may have something to do with the "stepped up" practice we did in the last 2 weeks.

The teacher at our school (who is very experienced, seeing cohort after cohort go through the exam) said that you can never tell at all whether your child has called it right and what your child tells you is usually inaccurate.

One thing that may help is that I know that a couple of years ago, a friend of my DD took the exam and left out 10 maths questions. He is now in the top set in maths at Colyton - so don't despair.

At the end of the day, it's quite a tall order to get in, especially this year, when there are so many entrants (extra teachers and kids being called in, so I'm told, to deal with the "bumper" year). We can all be proud of our DC for taking the exams, and concentrating for 3 hours, no mean feat at the age of 10.

Roll on March....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:18 am 
Hi Guys,

Thank goodness that is over ! Mine came out white as a sheet and horrified this time, which is not so good. Apparently, they left all the doors and windows open in the room and it was freezing in there. I think i might feed that back to them at some point, to help with next yar. Again, we have tried not to disect what happened paper wise too much as there is nothing we can do about it now. The only thing DS did say is that he only just finished the VR but mainly because he was freezing and too afraid to say anything. I didn't realise they had to write two essays in 45 mins poor little things :roll: after two solid hours or VR and maths poor things. Well, I would be amazed if any of them struggle with GCSEs after that, even if they don't get in. Oh and someone had a digital watch that kept going off apparently this happened last time as well.

Good luck to you all, bubbly all around whatever happened ! We are all amazing to get through this in one piece, we can do anything now. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:23 pm 

Hi all, Just found this very useful forum. Perhaps its a bit late now but as we are still living some distance away, its a relief to hear from some other parents on their child's perception of the day. Mine found the maths ok but (atypically) found the VR paper to be really difficult. She came out saying she had to guess about 10 qs. and that there were question types she was totally unfamiliar with. We only practiced the four Letts papers you can buy off the shelf in the newsagent. With the benefit of hindsight this would seem not to be enough. Anyway, we are all philosphical about it and there is (I believe) an excellent state school not far from Colyton (Woodroffe) which we hope to get into otherwise. One question I still have is whether the Maths, English and VR papers all get the same weighting? I have a feeling the English may be less important...Does anyone know? And best of luck to you all whatever your results.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:59 am 

Hi Lucy's mum

Yes - it's all over, which is a relief (at least for my daughter who has reverted to type - ie reading Harry Potter and generally losing things).

The Devon 11 plus forum is rather sleepy compared to other regions - probably because we have very few grammars in the region and logistically most could only apply to 1.

To answer your question, you can look at the Colyton website for details, but in a nutshell, the pass mark for the VR and maths is the (computer marked) score reached by the 120th candidate in each test, plus a (Colyton assessed) pass in English. The tests are not weighted as they are in some counties - ie VR doesn't count for more than maths. If more than 120 candidates pass these tests (plus English) then the combined VR/maths scores are ranked.

If fewer than 120 candidates pass all 3 tests, then the combined scores of maths/VR are ranked, but the candidate must still pass the English and one of the VR/maths tests to qualify for ranking.

With regard to English, the paper is marked by Colyton and they decide whether it is a pass or fail. There is no ranking of this paper, and apparently (according to the headmaster at the open day), about 2/3 of candidates will pass this typically.

Hope this helps - now for the long wait!

Likely in my view that there will be at least 120 children who pass the 3 tests - certainly there are some very able children taking the test from my DD's school. In their mock sats, which have just been completed, quite a number have already attained high 5as in both English and maths. (Not my DD sadly, who only got the 5a in English...).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:00 am 

Hi - just realised you're not Lucy's mum at all....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:55 pm 

Hi evrybody, I'm new to the forum and wish I'd found it earlier, I have been having a look at some of the many posts and find it interesting that some children have found the Maths exam very difficult. My son did 20+ NFER practise Maths plus numerous question sheets I did for him with the level of the NFER paper questions as the datum. Having marked them he consistently passed week in week out,however, on the day of the exam he came out looking very disappointed with himself, he shook his head and said " That was hard we haven't done any of it in school apart from the easy stuff" he added that there were 36 questions and he "thinks " he answered about 18 and he guessed at 2 of those before time ran out. So if it's a 50% pass rate we may be looking at a local secondary.

He spoke to 2 schoolmates and I spoke to their parents and they are all of the same mind,very hard and not been taught that type of equation. All 3 of them are "bright" and it will be a shame if they fail due to the junior School not teaching them what they should have, a private tutor was never an option, does anybody know if the school still have the option of using a few marks from VR and English if they did very well on those and are a little weak in Maths ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:54 am 

My interpretation of the information on the website is that they will produce a separate list for each subject in order of the scores and that if all of children who are in the top 120 for VR and English are also in the top 120 for Maths, they will not take anyone else. But as this is very unlikely, they will continue down the list looking at the next best score across the subjects , and the next and so on until the 120 places are filled.

This means that if most children found the Maths tough, the top 120 will have lower raw scores than other years, but these will be standardised so they can compare meaningfully with the VR/ English scores so it will not matter and your son may well be fine. There is no fixed pass mark as far as I know.

As a point of interest, does anyone know if there were only 36 questions in this years test- was it still multiple choice? I thought they usually did 50 or 80 questions?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:51 am 

If the exam was on 30th November there may be a late sitting so best not to discuss detailed exam format or content.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:36 pm 

Just to reassure you, the exam was on 20 November - there was only 1 sitting and that took place at Colyton grammar itself - we are all now waiting for the results!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:43 pm 

tiredmumof2 wrote:
Just to reassure you, the exam was on 20 November - there was only 1 sitting and that took place at Colyton grammar itself - we are all now waiting for the results!

Thanks for clarifying that. What would happen to a candidate that was ill on the 20th November? Most schools have a later sitting for candidates with sick notes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next