Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:04 pm 
Veggie option might be ok, good point ! Good luck to all. Will probably drive past you without knowing it. All the best. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm 

Good luck to you all too!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:09 pm 

What did the DCs think of the practice test today?

Quite concerned as my DC came out saying the VR had been really tough and she hadn't managed to finish it. There were 14 questions left! Did anyone else's DC have difficulty with this, or was this not your DC's experience?

Wondering whether we were right to put her in for it....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:34 pm 

Hi tiredmumof2

My DS found the today's papers harder than the practice ones and found the VR hardest of all. This is usually his favourite paper (if you can have a favourite :wink: makes them sound almost enjoyable!) Overall he thought it was OK with nothing new, but some harder questions than he's used to. He's really keen to do the real thing now and just forget all about it. Would be interested in hearing other DCs opinions too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:00 pm 
Mine found the maths hardest which is odd because it is usually his best subject. In general found it harder than the practice tests. He didn't finish the maths. Does anybody know if they keep these papers for back up if they are borderline or do they just bin them. If they just bin them it is such a shame all that hard work !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:26 am 

Hi Dartmoormum and Pilchard

Colyton say that they do not mark the practice papers and they are merely for familiarisation. There is no "borderline" anymore - the places are strictly allocated to the 120 children with the best marks apparently. Up til last year (I think) there was a borderzone where children in the "nearly made it" category were reviewed on a case by case basis, with the teachers providing samples of work to Colyton for review.

This will not happen anymore. And we will not be informed whether a place has been allocated until 1 March (also different from past years, when the school would indicate whether an "eligible" score had been attained at the end of January).

I suspect that the practice papers will be used if the DC is ill on the day of the real test, or maybe if there is an appeal?

One thing that I would be most grateful for help with is the fact that my DD said that there was one section of questions in the VR that she had not experienced before. She remembered one of those questions as follows:

13 (36) 4;
9 (20) 5;
11 (?) 7.

I have not seen this type of question before in the Letts/GL papers. For me, this was hard and definitely not obvious. (The answer is 28 if you're wondering!) Maybe I have not yet reached 11 plus standard!

I saw that your DS said that he had seen all the various types of questions previously Pilchard, and would be really really really grateful if you could let me know where I can find other similar types of questions - otherwise I will be making them up for my DD to practise....

Thanks to all in anticipation....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:18 pm 

Hmm am now wondering if things went as well as DS thinks. Not sure if he would have been able to answer this without quite a lot of thinking time. I needed quite a bit after reading this. :oops: I do recognise the type of question though. The past papers that DS has practised were the grey GL ones and I think that this type were in these. I think that the current practice papers are now blue? Unfortunately I've passed the papers onto a friend whose DS is taking the exam this time as my DS had done them. I also remember a post from forum mod Patricia about this type a while back - maybe try a search?

I do wonder what the point of the mock is now if they aren't reviewing borderzone candidates. Years ago the school used to interview all prospective pupils as well as the exam and the January letters were relatively new as I don't think that used to happen until recently.

I wonder if the exams are getting harder or if that was just a hard set? I thought that the papers were all meant to be of a similar level though? Can't wait for the morning of Sunday 21st Nov and no more 11+ to think about until March's e.mail. Best not to think about having to go through this again with DS' younger siblings either LOL.

Best of luck to both your DC's for the real exam Tiredmum and Dartmoormum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:15 pm 
Well, it would take me a while. I have seen them on the past papers though. My DS found the word questions very hard. We have tried not to disect it too much though. I am amazed that anyone could recall a whole question like that. What an amazing memory, she will do brilliantly. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:42 pm 

Thank you for your kind words Dartmoormum. Of course, my DD might have been better placed answering more questions than trying to memorise the ones she didn't know...., but full marks on initiative - she has looked at some of these unfamiliar questions now, thanks to the 11 plus forum!

Good luck to all and thanks for the solidarity - less than a week to go and counting!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:57 pm 

Well, it's all over now. :D :D What did other DCs think? My DS thought that the papers were hard again, but enjoyed the VR ( :shock: ). Maths was a different story though and there was a type in the paper that he'd never seen. He had to guess quite a few answers which is probably not a good sign. No idea what allocation day will bring now. Just the long wait until March and then we'll know I suppose. Hope other DCs had a better experience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next