Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:37 am 
Hi Kate

You will need to let your daughter's upper school and the LEA know by Jan 2006 at the latest that want her to be considered for the 12+.

You will be sent forms to fill in and then the LEA will write to the upper school for a report. Your daughter's upper school need to back up your claim that she may be suitable for a grammar schhol place.
This all needs to be completed by March, we were only recently given an actual date for the exam so you get about one months notice.

You are not given a choice of dates and the exam is held on a saturday morning in a school hall, apparently venues change yearly.

Good luck!

In another month we can hopefully put it all behind us!

Diane

Post subject: 12+ in Bucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:48 pm 
The date to get 12+ entries in for this year was 4 Jan 2005. The Guide for Parents on secondary school admissions will have all the details in the autumn term - we will be going for it too!

Post subject: How horrible!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:06 pm 
How horrible it must be to have to take the 12+. We don't have it in our area but it must be absolutely awful for the children.

I suppose it would be ok for those who didn't take the 11+ in the first place but for those who did, well!!

I know why parents want their children to sit such an exam and a lot of the children do do, I expect, some do slip through the net, I know but I can't imagine having to say to a child "No you didn't pass" and then "No you didn't pass" again a year or two later. We can all make cooing noises and tell them they did their best and we are really proud of them and of course all that is absolutely true but it doesn't take away from the fact that the child has been entered into a system and called a "failure" not only once but twice.

Are things so desparate that we have to do this to our children in this country.

I have three children in grammar school and a fourth who recently found that he had not got in but we've managed to set his mind to other things now. The thought of putting the poor soul through it again makes by blood curdle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:48 am 
I understand what you are saying but I am putting my daughter through the 12+ because I think she has a very realistic chance of passing, she only just missed out on the 11+ by a few points. We live in Bucks where if you pass you go to one of the best schools in the country but if you fail the schools are some of the worst and this is what makes "my blood curdle".

Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:40 am 
I am one happy Mum!

All our hard work, especially our daughter's has meant that she has gained 139 in her 12+......this is why I so heartlessly put her through it all again!

I would say to any parent who is considering the 12+ that if there is any realistic chance of success then go for it.

Thanks for the support from this site during the last few months!

Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:41 am 
I am one happy Mum!

All our hard work, especially our daughter's has meant that she has gained 139 in her 12+......this is why I so heartlessly put her through it all again!

I would say to any parent who is considering the 12+ that if there is any realistic chance of success then go for it.

Thanks for the support from this site during the last few months!

Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:46 pm 
Super news. Well done. You have given me renewed hope that my son might pass the 12+ next year. did you use a tutor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:03 pm 
Hi

We decided not to use a to choose a tutor as we thought short amounts of practise every day would be more beneficial than going to a tutor once a week. We bought loads of papers and once our daughter had finished one we went over the answers together.
I think many parents get a tutor as they doubt their own ability. After talking to some other parents I have found out that some (not all) tutors do nothing more but "babysit" a child whilst they are doing a paper and then mark it.

Good luck to you and your son!

Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:18 pm 
Hi

Must still be on a high as I don't think the beginning of my last message made much sense! Hopefully you got the drift of it!

Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:42 pm 
Were any papers better then others? Any advice greatly appreciated. When did you start practising for the 12+?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next