Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 2019 Test Data
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:30 pm 

mm23292 wrote:
London, Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire, Surrey...all miraculously ready to up sticks and move into closest catchment possible...

Applicants from Northamptonshire are not necessarily "tourists" - the 61 who applied are likely to be located in the south of the county and aiming for RLS in Buckingham, with every intention of applying for a place. Because Buckingham is only a few miles from the Bucks county boundary to the north, many applicants from towns and villages in South Northants actually live closer to the school than some in-catchment applicants. According to the oversubscription criteria, of course, they are only allocated places once all qualified in-catchment applicants have been catered for. And they certainly don't need to "up sticks and move", with most who are allocated places living within 6-8 miles of the school.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:00 pm 

So many bits about this data make me so angry.

It’s the very low pass rate in Aylesbury vale which has 3 grammars in the town which demonstrates most clearly how the current system is totally unfit for purpose.

Also where is the fairness in paying for private education in primary to ensure a “free” grammar place for secondary?

I only just found out that Henry Floyd offers a few places to pupil premium kids scoring 100-120. Brilliant idea. One ray of light in this awful game.

Rant over sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:15 am 

I understand there are many OOC applicants that are close in distance, that’s all quite reasonable to expect. But there are certainly some ooc applicants who most definitely fall into the ‘tourist’ bracket, and judging by the many comments that pop up every year on here, (and elsewhere) as soon as the results are out; asking questions about grammars that they haven’t even seen..and announcing they are ‘ready to move’ wherever they need to be. Quite blatant really!

As for private schools being somehow advantageous for earning grammar places, that really is an all too common myth. Apart from the fact that a lot of what prep schools offer is beyond the KS2 confines, art & music and other enrichment and extra-curricular activities, take up a large part of each day. My eldest daughter’s state primary spent far more lesson time on core maths & English skills, as they were so SATS focussed.
Secondly, prep schools strenuously discourage children from taking the test, where they feel they are not suitable. There are regular assessments by way of CATS, progress tests etc, that help them build ability profiles for each child; and they will only recommend taking the test, when this profile is strong. Pass rates will of course therefore be higher, because a lot of the children do not sit the test, whereas in state primaries, the majority of children do take the test. There is no magic formula I’m afraid, and the tutoring circus is something that prevails no matter what school they attend!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:00 pm 

mm23292 wrote:
I understand there are many OOC applicants that are close in distance, that’s all quite reasonable to expect. But there are certainly some ooc applicants who most definitely fall into the ‘tourist’ bracket, and judging by the many comments that pop up every year on here, (and elsewhere) as soon as the results are out; asking questions about grammars that they haven’t even seen..and announcing they are ‘ready to move’ wherever they need to be. Quite blatant really!

Oh I agree entirely, and it makes me mad, too! But they're not from Northants - the applicants in the south of the county are genuine and beyond that the focus switches to the grammar schools in Warwickshire... but I don't really know anything about the arrangements there.

Since the "tourism" issue seems to be largely due to a great many distant OOC applicants using the Bucks test as a "mock" for other areas, wouldn't the situation be alleviated (if not completely resolved) by holding it a bit later, after those other tests have taken place? I'm sure this has been discussed before but without knowing when the other tests are held it's not clear whether it would be a solution. I know it all has to tie in with the school applications being submitted by the end of October, but maybe that could be done later as well? I've never understood why it takes a whole 4 months for the places to be allocated, especially as it's all computerised? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:00 pm 

Marylou wrote:
mm23292 wrote:

Oh I agree entirely, and it makes me mad, too! But they're not from Northants - the applicants in the south of the county are genuine and beyond that the focus switches to the grammar schools in Warwickshire... but I don't really know anything about the arrangements there.

Since the "tourism" issue seems to be largely due to a great many distant OOC applicants using the Bucks test as a "mock" for other areas, wouldn't the situation be alleviated (if not completely resolved) by holding it a bit later, after those other tests have taken place? I'm sure this has been discussed before but without knowing when the other tests are held it's not clear whether it would be a solution. I know it all has to tie in with the school applications being submitted by the end of October, but maybe that could be done later as well? I've never understood why it takes a whole 4 months for the places to be allocated, especially as it's all computerised? :roll:

Actually, although a lot is computerised, there is also quite a bit of human input. Checking addresses for potential fraud...? Given that it is a coordinated system across the whole country, I don't think 4 months is excessive, really.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:00 am 

Hate to say this but pressure on sats is huge.

Two people at work (Wembley) used bucks 11+ to give their dcs a feel of working under pressure so they are ready for sats.

No inclination to attend bucks gs (or any other). One passed and one didn't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:18 am 

BlueBerry22 wrote:
Hate to say this but pressure on sats is huge.

Two people at work (Wembley) used bucks 11+ to give their dcs a feel of working under pressure so they are ready for sats.

No inclination to attend bucks gs (or any other). One passed and one didn't.

:shock:

And :roll:. :roll:. :roll:.

But then, so little pressure exerted re SATs in this household that the only thing the KS2 ones were noted for was the free breakfast the school provided all week for year 6.

DS2 did accidentally get some extra practice for KS1 SATs, though. He was in a mixed year class in year 1, but sat at a year 2 table and the teacher forgot to take him out, so just gave him a paper anyway and he duly got on with it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:41 am 

I can completely understand it taking four months to allocate places. The bit I don't get is why it takes so long to mark the papers! Given this year's fiasco, we know they had actually marked them - by computer - after a week, then spent a few weeks statistically analysing them because of the error. They still had everything decided and in place a good few weeks before the 18th October just the same; clearly they were "done" with whatever it is they do. And surely this sort of thing must be the worst case scenario, as if there was something even more messed up we'd be talking resits or remarks and at that point people would accept a later release date for the results.

So why can't they sit the test later and get the results quicker? It would also make it a bit more of a level playing field in general - the test is sat nearly the first week back. Those who have been tutored over the holidays or doing masses of practice are in fine form for the test. Those without those advantages are possibly still in holiday mode. Sit it early October (or later) and all children are back in the mood for school. And it also takes away several weeks of anxiety during the wait.

Horrified to hear about parents doing it for SATS reasons. Wow. That's depressing on so many levels. Our school is all about the free breakfasts too - they do a few past papers but there's absolutely no pressure. I've never heard parents complaining about stress or anxiety on class chats. Has anyone ever told these parents that SATS are for the school to look good, not the pupil?? Why do they care if the school they're leaving appears slightly higher up a league table? :?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:09 am 

When my DCs took the 11 plus it was towards the end of September. It was moved when they had to have the results released before submitting the CAF, so I presume there simply isn't time (& no, I don't know what takes the time but I presume it takes that much time or they would release them earlier).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:16 pm 

BlueBerry22 wrote:

No inclination to attend bucks gs (or any other).

Disgusting.

Come on Bucks, do something!!!!