Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:30 pm 

I have noticed the allocation distance for BGS shrunk significantly last year. I wonder if there was any particular reason for this or whether this is just a general trend? I would have expected a gradual reduction but from about 7.5 miles to 3 miles seems a massive jump. We are hoping to qualify on sibling criteria but our child's best friend lives over 4 miles away from BGS so wouldn't have got in last year. Just wonder if there might be a chance this year?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:56 pm 

On another thread on here someone said that the head expected it to go up again this year, but no-one knows if that will happen of course. They are certainly in with a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:22 pm 

you just can’t tell. It may be less tight this year, it purely depends on number of passing applicants who name the school and how many “spare” spaces are left after the in-cachement allocations. If you are within 6-7 miles and want the school, then name it on the CAF (higher up than the backup school you are more likely to get) and see what happens.
We’re 5 miles away (OOC) , DD is in year 9, the children in our area last year who named BGS were all unsuccessful, but that’s just the way it went.

Sometimes there are outlying allocations the other way too: one of DD’s cohort named Becky High from Langley, I confess I scoffed at them that not a snowball’s chance in **** would they get a place at 10 miles distance OOC..... there was an anomaly and that year it went to almost 11 miles and she got in! (not for 10 years before, or the two years since has it gone out that far: there was just a “blip year” drop in applications.) I’m not commenting on the hour and a half journey she has to school each day, but she and her parents are happy.