Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:49 pm 

That’s my point - it’s low level boy stupidity but it’s punished as if it’s the crime of the century!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:38 pm 

Ah well, I guess it's just a matter of preference.

I've found them to be quite lenient with forgotten books etc, but I don't think they tolerate bad behaviour. Which is fine by me!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:03 am 

I'm unable to give a personal view on SHF as my children did not go there; however my friend's daughter went there (under the old head) and loved it.

My two boys are at AGS, the eldest went there as we liked the feel and felt it would fit his personality; however with the youngest I did consider SHF as he is more sensitive, less sporty than his brother. He initially did not go to grammar, did not quality, but when he qualified at the 13+ he chose to put AGS as his first choice. I am glad he did, it was the right school for him. From the moment he started in Year 9 they did everything to help him settle, two years on he has some wonderful friends with whom he shares the same interests. He is very happy there. The school does believe in discipline and they may have the style/appearance of being a traditional school, however we have found them to be a warm, friendly, approachable school who are interested in the individual child and their needs, helping to develop them into the adult they will become.

People say that SHF are for the arty/musically minded individual, but AGS also has excellent music/art/drama facilities.

As I said I can only comment on our experience of AGS, but for us it has been the right choice for our boys. I always say, go with your 'gut feelings' as you generally get an idea how the school feels when you visit and if you can see your child there. Good Luck on your decision.

Last edited by heartmum on Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:04 pm 

Thanks for the comments, they are very helpful... and also not because it wasn’t a unanimous view :D

In the end we based our decision on which school felt most suitable based on our visits.

Thank you!