Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:55 pm 

Does anyone know the amount of homework students at BGS get per night. How long this normally take and when it is expected back.
TIA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:17 pm 

It's a while since my son was in year 7 but it wasn't a huge burden. Usually 2 subjects per night but not all set it every time. I think with most schools it also depends what they get done in lessons, homework is often "finish this exercise". It was usually for the next lesson, but that could have changed if they submit more things on line now. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will be along soon. My 3 DCs never found the homework particularly onerous but more diligent children (!) may have a different story.
ETA this is exactly the sort of thing to ask at the open evening, where year 7s & 8s would be showing you around, which I believe was last night. There are also open mornings where you could ask these questions (same applies to St Bernard's, I imagine).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:23 pm 

My DD1 is now in year 9 at BGS.

The school use a ShowMyHomework app that runs on a smartphone, and parents can see what the tasks are and if they have been ticked off
by the student. At least at the start, this is very helpful (I’m still checking hers though not as much as her sister’s!)

They get one or two pieces a night, generally fairly short but may need to be in a few days later. this is only an issue if your DC have a lot of large-time afterschool clubs.
eg, my DD1 used to have music club followed by Guides one day after school, this kept her out until 9.15 and so she had to do any Friday homework two days in advance because there was just no time on Thirsdays to do it.

What I did find impressive was that the homework seemed to have great varoety and was interesting, actually involving some thought and creativity, not just a list of facts to learn. The schoolseems sensitive to each child’s level and tries to challenge all of them, without comparing/ranking them. .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:26 pm 

oh, and I know someone who has a child at LGS and another child at BGS one year apart: apparently the BGS one gets more homework it’s more interesting. Also the LGS child has most of their homework in digital form on an ipad. BGs does use Mymaths for homework topics.