Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 pm 

My daughter was at the BHS test. She said the questions were easier than expected but the timing on the ..... [edited by moderator] paper was tough.

She also said there was a child behind her that was tapping their feet and that another child knocked over their open bottle of water (they had been told to put their drinks under their desks).

Also they were told no watches or timers allowed - I had planned on sending in a digital watch :(

Best of luck for tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 pm 

The familiarisation booklet states:
Quote:
Mobile phones, smart watches or any potential technological or web-enabled
sources of information must not be taken into the examination. If a device is found,
it will be confiscated for the duration of the test.

It's probably easier for schools if they don't allow anything like a digital watch, just in case. They are given time warnings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 pm 

My daughter didn't take in a watch (although she said they said no watches at all - not even analog - for the maths paper?) but she was also sat at a bad angle to the clock in the room. She said she could still read it, but it was awkward to do so, and she hoped she wouldn't be sitting there tomorrow.

I hope she isn't too, because that IS a disadvantage if a pupil has to crane to see the time and focus harder to work it out, and their peers do not.

Hopefully just worrying over nothing!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 am 

sparklies wrote:
My daughter didn't take in a watch (although she said they said no watches at all - not even analog - for the maths paper?) but she was also sat at a bad angle to the clock in the room. She said she could still read it, but it was awkward to do so, and she hoped she wouldn't be sitting there tomorrow.

I hope she isn't too, because that IS a disadvantage if a pupil has to crane to see the time and focus harder to work it out, and their peers do not.

Hopefully just worrying over nothing!

If she feels she cannot see the clock then she needs to tell the invigilator before the test starts. They can't fix the problem if they don't know about it. If someone attempted to go to appeal saying they were disadvantaged because they couldn't see the clock, this is the first thing the appeals panel would say - well did you tell the invigilator you couldn't see it?....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:14 am 

I have told her that - but - it's lucky she mentioned it. Because she wasn't aware it was anything she'd have any control over or have any right to complain about. She's only ten after all, and "teachers know best"!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 am 

sparklies wrote:
I have told her that - but - it's lucky she mentioned it. Because she wasn't aware it was anything she'd have any control over or have any right to complain about. She's only ten after all, and "teachers know best"!

Hi sparklies

If she was is doing the test at CGS, then she should find that the clock has been moved to the front, as I emailed the school yesterday to ask where it was in the room (my child hadn't been able to see it) and they said they would move it.

Hope your daughter and every other child have had a good experience this morning (and this afternoon)!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:12 am 

sookipixeldust wrote:
sparklies wrote:

Hi sparklies

If she was is doing the test at CGS, then she should find that the clock has been moved to the front, as I emailed the school yesterday to ask where it was in the room (my child hadn't been able to see it) and they said they would move it.

Hope your daughter and every other child have had a good experience this morning (and this afternoon)!

Thank you!! Yes, she is at CGS right now :shock: so that is very reassuring to know. Thank you for emailing the school - I should have thought of that!! See, I am as bad as my daughter!

The very best of luck to your child today too - and indeed, to every child. The ideal outcome is that every child feels they did their best and comes out the exam happy.