Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:21 am 

I am finding the 11+ quite stressful, in particular knowing what sort of marks in the CPG 10 minute test and test papers are required. The suggestion is 80% but is this real or would a lower score for Buckinghamshire be still on target?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:03 am 

Hi,
I see no one has replied to your question. It is a really hard question to answer! It is difficult to correlate 10 min test scores against a predicted outcome for the transfer test as we don't really know how closely the 10 min tests (or any other books or tests) mimic the real transfer test. Also, the scores for the real test are standardised (look it up - takes an age to explain but no doubt is has been covered in lots of other threads), so even if a child got 80%+ in all their CGP 10 min tests, they might not get anywhere near that result once the scores have been adjusted.
From experience, best not to stress about how closely practise scores reflect the real result. My eldest only got 35-40% on some of the mock tests he did. 65% was the highest he managed. He did CGP 10 min books at home. Sometimes he would get 80%, but then every now and then he would have a duff day and get nearer 30%! End result - he passed the real thing with flying colours, despite not even having a tutor. My youngest has 11+ this year. He is more consistent with CGP - gets nearly all of the correct most of the time, yet we wouldn't consider him the 'cleverer' child - he has just gotten good at doing CGP 10 min tests! We wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't pass the real test at all.
Just let child do their best with the 10 min ones...and do their best on the day. That's all we can hope for!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:17 am 

My child would usually get full marks in the Maths 10 minute tests in well under the time. He would get 80-90% in the verbal (100% if allowed extra time) and about 60% in NVR.
In the real test he failed and did surprisingly poorly in maths but better in NVR.
What I think this means is that scores in practice tests are not the whole story, because exam technique and how the child feels on the exam day are just as important, if not more important.