Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:56 pm 

scary mum wrote:
Mostlymum wrote:
Another factor with CGS is also that it has become a much more popular in-catchment choice. Looking at where I live, when previously there would be one or two new joiners getting the bus each year, last year 6 children opted for it. From what I've heard, it's a similar picture this year.

There was an in year variation to the CGS catchment which took immediate effect. This will have affected the allocations this year. Details on BCC website

Thanks scarymum - I had no idea that had happened, and I'm grateful for you drawing our attention to this news. I should really pay attention to what's going on in my own child's school. That's a final piece of the puzzle that makes sense of the shrinking allocation distances. It sounds as if CGS may not be a possibility for most 'new' Berko/Northchurch children going forward, once the current siblings have gone through secondary school. Perhaps just the area nearest Kings Road/central Berko. Ashlyns School - rated a 'Good' school by ofsted - might have to become the secondary school choice for nearly all of Berkhamsted, which would be no bad thing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:49 pm 

sookipixeldust wrote:
sparklies wrote:
:shock: at Chesham, two miles less than last year. That rules out ALL of Hemel (versus most of it last year), anyone north of the canal in Berkhamsted, and all of Felden and Chipperfield too.

I'm in Northchurch and now questioning whether or not we should continue with DIY tutoring. My child (if they pass) would get into CGS on the sibling rule, but presumably no one else in the local area (without a CGS sibling) would get in. This would mean that there would be no chance of local friends for my child, and the dedicated bus might be even be cancelled once the 2018 (still Berko/Northchurch heavy) intake have left the school. Does anyone know if the 2019 Bucks cohort was particularly big? Sally Anne - do you think the distances will continue to shrink for CGS, or is this likely to be a blip? There must be many Berko/Northchurch parents today questioning whether or not to keep on tutoring if there is no hope of a CGS place.

Don't give up hope! It may just be a blip this year. And if your child would get in on the sibling rule and not many of his or her friends do, s/he will make loads of new friends at CGS if s/he passes the 11+.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:08 pm 

nancygirl84 wrote:
sookipixeldust wrote:
sparklies wrote:
:shock: at Chesham, two miles less than last year. That rules out ALL of Hemel (versus most of it last year), anyone north of the canal in Berkhamsted, and all of Felden and Chipperfield too.

I'm in Northchurch and now questioning whether or not we should continue with DIY tutoring. My child (if they pass) would get into CGS on the sibling rule, but presumably no one else in the local area (without a CGS sibling) would get in. This would mean that there would be no chance of local friends for my child, and the dedicated bus might be even be cancelled once the 2018 (still Berko/Northchurch heavy) intake have left the school. Does anyone know if the 2019 Bucks cohort was particularly big? Sally Anne - do you think the distances will continue to shrink for CGS, or is this likely to be a blip? There must be many Berko/Northchurch parents today questioning whether or not to keep on tutoring if there is no hope of a CGS place.

Don't give up hope! It may just be a blip this year. And if your child would get in on the sibling rule and not many of his or her friends do, s/he will make loads of new friends at CGS if s/he passes the 11+.

The change of catchment is not a blip, this will be the same for future years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am 

Marylou wrote:
Pidney wrote:
We got Aylesbury Grammar (13.41 miles), but missed out on Royal Latin (7.61 miles) which was our first preference.

The allocation profile states 7.629 miles ... worth checking?

Could you please repost the link for allocation profiles which mentions Royal Latin : 7.629 miles ? Couldn't locate it on this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:25 am 

It's in the first post on this thread, and also in kittymum's later post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:42 am 

scary mum wrote:
It's in the first post on this thread, and also in kittymum's later post.

Thanks. found it now. Must say Bucks is the best county in terms promptness and imp details in publishing various stats regarding elevenplus process.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 am 

Hi,

I am waiting for the first round allocations for the schools, last year RLS had an extra 8 places offered in second rounds\waiting lists. The school said they were over allocated by 8 places (182 for only 174 places).

Having missed out on RLS by 0.05miles this year, I am not sure whether they will have any additional intake in later rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:09 pm 

sookipixeldust wrote:
Thanks scarymum - I had no idea that had happened, and I'm grateful for you drawing our attention to this news. I should really pay attention to what's going on in my own child's school. That's a final piece of the puzzle that makes sense of the shrinking allocation distances. It sounds as if CGS may not be a possibility for most 'new' Berko/Northchurch children going forward, once the current siblings have gone through secondary school. Perhaps just the area nearest Kings Road/central Berko. Ashlyns School - rated a 'Good' school by ofsted - might have to become the secondary school choice for nearly all of Berkhamsted, which would be no bad thing.

I suspect the in year variation may be part of it but the Head's newsletter on Friday alluded to the fact that CGS may be getting more popular as it has appeared high up in newspaper league tables.

There is a further problem in Berko which is that Ashlyns may not have enough capacity for the children that live in the immediate area. Although it increased its PAN this year, there are several yr6 children living in Northchurch who have not been given a place there and who have been given a school in Hemel. The projections for the next few years are for a shortfall in secondary places and that will be compounded if some of the children who might have otherwise gone to CGS don't get places there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:23 pm 

Louey wrote:
sookipixeldust wrote:

I suspect the in year variation may be part of it but the Head's newsletter on Friday alluded to the fact that CGS may be getting more popular as it has appeared high up in newspaper league tables.

There is a further problem in Berko which is that Ashlyns may not have enough capacity for the children that live in the immediate area. Although it increased its PAN this year, there are several yr6 children living in Northchurch who have not been given a place there and who have been given a school in Hemel. The projections for the next few years are for a shortfall in secondary places and that will be compounded if some of the children who might have otherwise gone to CGS don't get places there.

Thanks Louey - I didn't know for certain that there were children in Y6 in Northchurch that didn't get places at Ashlyns, but I guessed that might be the case; the allocation distance has shrunk to 2942.72m (from 4522m), and there are plenty of Northchurch roads beyond this distance. How awful for the families, I really feel for them - I hope the get good news once the second round of allocations take place. I hadn't thought about the impact of the students who would have been expected to go to CGS, but couldn't get a place - presumably this (along with the baby boom from 2008) has contributed to the shrinking allocation distance of Ashylns this year and will (as you've suggested) affect future years.

Sigh - I thought moving to Northchurch would mean we could escape the issues with school places in London.... :?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:20 pm 

MCon2019 wrote:
I live in Langley but my daughter only passed Bucks. Normally all langley children get into Beccy High or Burnham but we got offered no grammar school Place.
Does anyone know if that increases our priority on the waiting lists? Very worried we will be too far down the waiting list as we are now 2 miles out for BGS! In the headmasters speech he said we were pretty much guaranteed a place at BGS- that didn't work out this year!!

No, normally all Langley children do NOT get into Beccy High!
There was a year where the cachement widened loads up to 11 miles (those children are now in year 8 ) but that was an anomaly, in the past five years it has not been “normal” for langley girls to get into BHS unless on appeal or siblings or occasionally the in-year waiting list.

You are unlucky not to get Burnham thoigh: my DD1 is in year 8 and loves it there: the Langley children either take the train (8 mins from Langley to Burnham station, about £40 pcm month for a train pass) or get a bus, and it’s near enough to drive in 18-20 mins if it’s needed to give them a lift in at other times. Hopefully there will be some waiting list movement: take the school place you have offered and go onto BGS waiting list: if yoiu wan you could also consider appealing against oversubscription (though be realistic: there may not be a place to put them into). You could also consider next year sitting the 12+ as BGS does have extra spaces into year 8 (though this may change, check the admission policy).

Where did you get offered? , Langley Academy and Ditton Park Academy are both good and an able child would do well
In either....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next