Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:30 pm 

Bepositive wrote:
Does anyone know why there was an immense change in OA distance for AGS in 2017??

1st March 2017 - 24.085 miles
25th April 2017 - 34.981 miles (another 10 miles!!)

Thanks

Remember that could just be 1 extra student. 24 miles is an enormous distance to travel to school there are going to be very very few people who would consider that distance acceptable let alone a further distance. These are as the crow flies distances so the actual mikes travelled may be immense!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:35 pm 

Quote:
sparklies wrote:
:shock: at Chesham, two miles less than last year. That rules out ALL of Hemel (versus most of it last year), anyone north of the canal in Berkhamsted, and all of Felden and Chipperfield too.

I'm in Northchurch and now questioning whether or not we should continue with DIY tutoring. My child (if they pass) would get into CGS on the sibling rule, but presumably no one else in the local area (without a CGS sibling) would get in. This would mean that there would be no chance of local friends for my child, and the dedicated bus might be even be cancelled once the 2018 (still Berko/Northchurch heavy) intake have left the school. Does anyone know if the 2019 Bucks cohort was particularly big? Sally Anne - do you think the distances will continue to shrink for CGS, or is this likely to be a blip? There must be many Berko/Northchurch parents today questioning whether or not to keep on tutoring if there is no hope of a CGS place.

I'm shocked at the distances for CGS as well and would be very interested to know why that's changed so much this year. We got in from Berko last year (at 3.5m out). A friend who is just under 4m in Northchurch hasn't got in this year. I am just hoping that they don't change admissions to take out the sibling rule otherwise we would be stuffed as we have moved to the north side of the canal and are 4.3m out now. My youngest is yr3 so we have a few years to go yet before he will be taking the 11+. I think the bus/es will be continuing for some time to come though. Many of my yr7 son's friends have younger siblings who may well end up going.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:10 pm 

scary mum wrote:
Yets15 wrote:
Many thanks ladies. We live in Emerson valley. It seems to have been very competitive for the girls this year. I know a lot of DS around us got offered a place at AGS. Is anyone aware of how far out AHS went thei year?

It's on the link in the first post (& kittymum's post) AHS was 12.959 miles OOC.

@scary mum, thank you. We are 13.25 miles out. Do we stand a chance in the second round? Also can I confirm that everyone is automatically added to the waiting list and we don’t have to contact the council to include us on the list

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:34 pm 

No-one knows what will happen but you must be in with a good chance. If you don't get your first choice you are automatically added to the waiting list for higher choices. If you then get one of those the original allocation will automatically be given to someone else.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:07 pm 

Yets15 wrote:
scary mum wrote:
Yets15 wrote:
Many thanks ladies. We live in Emerson valley. It seems to have been very competitive for the girls this year. I know a lot of DS around us got offered a place at AGS. Is anyone aware of how far out AHS went thei year?

It's on the link in the first post (& kittymum's post) AHS was 12.959 miles OOC.

@scary mum, thank you. We are 13.25 miles out. Do we stand a chance in the second round? Also can I confirm that everyone is automatically added to the waiting list and we don’t have to contact the council to include us on the list

Did you put down the Floyd as one of your choices? Part of Emerson Valley was fine for the Floyd this year so if you did put that down but just aren’t in the bit that did then you might stand a better chance of getting in there. Last year there was minimal movement - I know because a lot of the mums in my daughters year at her school were all on waiting lists trying to get in. None of them did.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:28 am 

I live in Langley but my daughter only passed Bucks. Normally all langley children get into Beccy High or Burnham but we got offered no grammar school Place.
Does anyone know if that increases our priority on the waiting lists? Very worried we will be too far down the waiting list as we are now 2 miles out for BGS! In the headmasters speech he said we were pretty much guaranteed a place at BGS- that didn't work out this year!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:32 am 

No it does not increase your priority On the waiting list. The waiting list will be in the same order as the oversubscription criteria.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:09 am 

Louey wrote:
Quote:
sparklies wrote:
:shock: at Chesham, two miles less than last year. That rules out ALL of Hemel (versus most of it last year), anyone north of the canal in Berkhamsted, and all of Felden and Chipperfield too.

I'm in Northchurch and now questioning whether or not we should continue with DIY tutoring. My child (if they pass) would get into CGS on the sibling rule, but presumably no one else in the local area (without a CGS sibling) would get in. This would mean that there would be no chance of local friends for my child, and the dedicated bus might be even be cancelled once the 2018 (still Berko/Northchurch heavy) intake have left the school. Does anyone know if the 2019 Bucks cohort was particularly big? Sally Anne - do you think the distances will continue to shrink for CGS, or is this likely to be a blip? There must be many Berko/Northchurch parents today questioning whether or not to keep on tutoring if there is no hope of a CGS place.

I'm shocked at the distances for CGS as well and would be very interested to know why that's changed so much this year. We got in from Berko last year (at 3.5m out). A friend who is just under 4m in Northchurch hasn't got in this year. I am just hoping that they don't change admissions to take out the sibling rule otherwise we would be stuffed as we have moved to the north side of the canal and are 4.3m out now. My youngest is yr3 so we have a few years to go yet before he will be taking the 11+. I think the bus/es will be continuing for some time to come though. Many of my yr7 son's friends have younger siblings who may well end up going.

Hi Louey

I've looked at the admissions information for CGS, and the sibling rule is definitely still in place for next year at least (see quote below). I would be surprised if anything changed in the next few years. Sibling rules are fairly standard for most schools. "Rule 5 - Siblings of children in Years 7 to 12 who are on the roll of the school at the time allocations are made and who will be on the roll of the school at the time of the proposed admission." The admissions doc is at the bottom of this page: https://www.cheshamgrammar.org/180/admissions

The dramatic change in the allocation distance to CGS will be a big shock to many Berko/Northchurch parents who expected to have the option to send their kids to CGS. I think it's seen as another perk of this rather middle-class area (like having the Rex :wink: ) There must be lots of tutors having awkward conversations with worried parents this weekend. On the positive side, Ashlyns School will get more of the brighter students that they usually lose to the grammar school system across the border, which might be good for the school and more importantly the pupils!

I think I can see why all the Bucks allocation distances have shrunk so much in the last couple of years - I think it's to do with the mini birth boom from 2006/2007 onwards - more kids in Bucks (along with the rest of the UK) means less OoC school grammar school places. See the birth statistics here if you're interested: https://www.statista.com/statistics/281 ... ingdom-uk/ This shorter allocation distances trend is likely continue for the next few years until the birth rate drops for the 2012-2013 births cohort (entering Y7 in 2024).

If anyone else has any insights about Berkhamsted/Northchurch/Chesham Grammar I'd love to hear them!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:24 pm 

Another factor with CGS is also that it has become a much more popular in-catchment choice. Looking at where I live, when previously there would be one or two new joiners getting the bus each year, last year 6 children opted for it. From what I've heard, it's a similar picture this year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:33 pm 

Mostlymum wrote:
Another factor with CGS is also that it has become a much more popular in-catchment choice. Looking at where I live, when previously there would be one or two new joiners getting the bus each year, last year 6 children opted for it. From what I've heard, it's a similar picture this year.

There was an in year variation to the CGS catchment which took immediate effect. This will have affected the allocations this year. Details on BCC website

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next