Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:55 pm 
Some really heart-wrenching stories today in the forum. I wish there was a magic wand for some really genuine cases. I think that you need to appeal and get before the panel.

I discovered this site about two months ago and I must say that the 'community' support structure is phenominal, especially Patricia - a wise head if anyone ever needed one. You should all be able to guide each other through the appeal process and get the best possible outcome for your children. You have all come this far and you should not give up without a fight.

Post subject: Re: 11+ results
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:22 am 
To MelJ:
Sorry to hear about your daughter's result and I hope you manage to cheer her and yourself up soon...

Having said that, I don't think you could hear of a case that is more suited to getting through the appeal process.

The document that Catherine posted about a few weeks ago from Bucks CC website:
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/docum ... 1_plus.pdf
contains a description of what the invigilators were meant to do during the test and this includes noting any problems children had during it.

She missed by only one point, she wasn't feeling well and she sounds like she has strong backing from the school.

If she doesn't get through on appeal then I don't know what they are looking for ...

Best of luck with it and to everyone who is appealing and congratulations to those who passed ...

And thanks to everyone on this site which seems to have helped us all keep some sanity during this process.

Cheers

Sleeping Partner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:17 am 
My son passed and we are delighted, but I feel really sorry for anyone who did not receive the news they had wished for.
So just a cheerful word. A friend of ours who attends our local secondary got 9 GCSEs grade A , 2 Bs, 1 C last year. He is now going on to A levels in a very good school.

Best wishes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:28 am 

Dear Bucks parent

What are you gong to do now? You say your daughter 'failed' by a long way, but , school thought she should do well. If you and the school think she should be at a grammar - then you must appeal you have nothing to lose.

Its up to you ,but, you dont have to tell your daughter [ to save more [possible] disappointment]

I am not an expert on appeals but know a fair bit - happy to answer questions [ if I can!]

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:55 am 

That's very kind of you Patricia to offer to help. My daughter is a tricky case as she is very good at literacy but really panics with numeracy (end of Year 5 she was level 5 literacy & level 3 maths!). Her school said she had one of the most pronounced differences in ability between the two areas they had seen, but I think it's just a question of how your brain works. She scored 116 and 112 in the 11 plus, I think reflecting the fact that the second paper had more maths. In practice, she would whizz through the true "VR" sections and then completely stall on the codes and Maths.

Our Upper school is improving and maybe she won't feel so bad about her Maths if she's with a wider ability range. Bit worried about her literacy and whether she'll be challenged enough (they don't set for English for at least three years), but we'll have to tackle that when we come to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:49 pm 
Mel and anyone else whos child did not score high enough to be offered their choice of school, It may make you feel better to know of a friend of mine. She pushed her son all the way. Was determined that he would go to our local Grammer school, it was all she had ever wanted. She had him heavily coached to pass the 11+ and on the day he made it. Only just though, he scraped through. But he was not as academic as a lot of the boys at the school and began to struggle. Being at the bottom always, is very difficult to keep up with. Most of the children sail through each day without any problems. But every day was a chore for her son, it is very difficult to fit in when you are constantly struggling to keep up, with children who are well above average. He coped for two years, before he finally could mnage it no longer. When it come to taking GSCE's and A levels, you are expected to take more exams than many other schools and the work becomes very heavy even for the brightest of children. Her son transferred to a comprehansive school where he was very happy. He was towards the top in most subjects and no longer felt out of place. He is certainly keeping up the hard work as he knows what he wants to do in life. But his mother says it is one thing coaching them to pass the 11+, but they have to be able to cope with the work once they are there.

My son has just taken the 11+ in Essex, we have to wait until March for the results and I have to say I feel "what will be will be". If her is meant to be at a Grammer school then he will have passed. I did not have him coached. I did get some practice papers beforehand, so he could see what is was going to have to deal with. If he gets a place all well and good, if he doesn't will will be very happy with him as we know he cam only do his best. After all, happinest is the most important thing, and if he is happy at a school he will get more out of it than being unhappy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:22 am 
I totally agree with you Essex Mum. :)

It would be a great shame to coach frantically, pushing beyond the normal limitations to watch you're child struggle through Grammar. :oops:

My daughter's passed her 11+ with a little bit of help at home for a few weeks before the tests.

So I hope that if she is offered a place in March it will mean that she is academically suitable for the school and will love the challenging work it will bring. :P

Good Luck to everyone who is receiving results this week. :wink:

Footymad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:18 am 
Hello Patricia/Catherine

Well my Cameron did it, he passed (124) and to say I am pleased is just the biggest understatement I could make. I was and still am estatic and cannot stop smiling. We are so proud of him and I will not stop telling him.

We had to wait patiently until he got home from his after school club and to be honest I was so nervous. Not because I didnt have faith but because having spoke to so many people and looked on here so many times, it was apparent that you just couldn't tell what would happen (and having read some of the postings today it is very clear that this is so true)

My husband got my son a PS2 game as a gift for having taken the test and so after we opened the letter off he went to play that whilst I just sat down and cried with joy and relief.

Catherine I am so pelased you too had good news. Patricia thanks for all your advice whilst Ive been on this site, it definitely helped just to have people to talk too. My son cannot wait to join John Hampden, I hope he enjoys it as much as I know you said your sons do.

I wish everyone good luck with appeals and I will still come on this sight from time to time even just to offer advice to anyone else.

For now though I have to say I am pleased its all done.

Thanks again from a very happy and proud Mum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:38 am 

Hello Mel,

I am so pleased that your son passed. It is fantastic news. I guessed that you don't have to worry about the Slough results now, having selected John Hampden in Bucks as your first choice.

Well done to your son and yourself. It's nice to have good results after so much effort and stress.

I hope your son will enjoy his years in John Hampten.

Kind regards

Catherine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:55 pm 

Dear Mel

Confess I was a tad worried, thought you would tell us all on Friday. Began to think you didn't want to come on line due to 'bad' news!!

How wrong can someone be! Well done to your son, I'm sure he will enjoy his experience at John Hampden.

Patricia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next