Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 results
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:11 pm 

Dan4G wrote:
Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions.

We have now submitted the CAF.

I wonder when do they check the distance from home to school? Just after they have received the applications (In Nov?) or just before the national results day (in Feb?).

I am asking to understand the impact if we move house between now and March?
Thanks

On the admissions website it says:

Quote:
If you move house after you’ve submitted your application form you should contact us to let us know. We’ll tell you whether the change in circumstances can be considered.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:51 pm 

Thank you hermanmunster

Please can you share the link for this information?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:11 pm 

Dan4G wrote:
Thank you hermanmunster

Please can you share the link for this information?

I imagine it will be somewhere near where you found the CAF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:37 pm 

Thank you scary mum

I have found the page there as below.
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/2011 ... _schools/1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:03 pm 

You may want to check the schools admission policy too as there may be something in there about address changes, particularly if they are academies

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:22 pm 

Hi, hope everyone is well. I am new to the forum so apologies if I make any mistake

My younger brother (in year 6 currently) did the grammar test this year and unfortunately he got below the qualifying score, 190 compared to 205.

Myself and my younger brother both attend one of the KEVI grammar schools which is down our road. My mum was very disappointed that he did not achieve the score and is quite stressed about selecting a school because she has no experience of other comprehensive schools, and as our local grammar school is so close to the house (around 7 minutes walk straight down) we would walk ourselves there. She would find it hard to drop him off to any other school as I have a younger brother attending a primary school. She is a single parent by the way.

I have accepted this news by the way. But she still made me put the grammar school as the first option :? So I was wondering is it at all possible for an appeal to be made? I know my mum is trying to clutch at straws but alas, she is in charge and I had to listen to her! The school's admission criteria only said those students who achieve above the qualifying score.

The appeals page has been very useful; I doubt an appeal would be successful but in terms of factors in our favour- the proximity to the school, being FSM, logistics as a single parent, siblings at school so we are well acquainted with it; as for his school attainment, I am not sure, I'd have to look into that.

By the way, I know their scores are standardised, does that mean that there are no "shortage" of spaces? Given that thousands of people took the test, and the qualifying score was worked out after they were marked, that must been that everyone who qualified got a space. That is why I doubt an appeal would be successful because it's not like there is a free space.

Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:22 pm 

consciousatmosphere wrote:
Hi, hope everyone is well. I am new to the forum so apologies if I make any mistake

My younger brother (in year 6 currently) did the grammar test this year and unfortunately he got below the qualifying score, 190 compared to 205.

Myself and my younger brother both attend one of the KEVI grammar schools which is down our road. My mum was very disappointed that he did not achieve the score and is quite stressed about selecting a school because she has no experience of other comprehensive schools, and as our local grammar school is so close to the house (around 7 minutes walk straight down) we would walk ourselves there. She would find it hard to drop him off to any other school as I have a younger brother attending a primary school. She is a single parent by the way.

I have accepted this news by the way. But she still made me put the grammar school as the first option :? So I was wondering is it at all possible for an appeal to be made? I know my mum is trying to clutch at straws but alas, she is in charge and I had to listen to her! The school's admission criteria only said those students who achieve above the qualifying score.

The appeals page has been very useful; I doubt an appeal would be successful but in terms of factors in our favour- the proximity to the school, being FSM, logistics as a single parent, siblings at school so we are well acquainted with it; as for his school attainment, I am not sure, I'd have to look into that.

By the way, I know their scores are standardised, does that mean that there are no "shortage" of spaces? Given that thousands of people took the test, and the qualifying score was worked out after they were marked, that must been that everyone who qualified got a space. That is why I doubt an appeal would be successful because it's not like there is a free space.

Hi I'm not an expert on appeals but I think you need to prepare your mum that its going to be a very uphill battle. This year there are many pupil premium and non pupil premium kids who are just short, so 204 203. I think many are planning to appeal thinking perhaps there will be more leeway because of Covid and missed lessons for 4 months. But historically appeals are extremely hard to win. My point is these many kids so close to the qualifying score perhaps have the slimmest of chances. But I'm afraid to say that a score 15 marks away is looking at less than 5% chance of successful appeal, perhaps unless you can prove an amazing academic track record for the last few years as proof that something went amiss on the day. For a Grammar school appeal, things like proximity and familiarity with the school wont help I dont think. I hope your mom also included comprehensive schools on the secondary application form that you have a reasonable chance of getting, otherwise you will be allocated any school with a space and that could be anywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:51 pm 

As difficult as it is, your mum needs to accept that your brother will be going to a comprehensive school. Any successful appeal over and above that will be a bonus. Although there are very valid reasons for wanting the place at the grammar school (proximity and siblings), the school your mum will be appealing for will already be full to capacity, with potentially hundreds of children on the waiting list all of whom achieved the qualifying score. So the appeal panel would be adding your brother to the school despite it already being full, over and above others who also don't have a place but scored higher. Just to add also, the qualifying score was announced before the test, not after the papers were marked.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:08 am 

Toblerone wrote:

Hi I'm not an expert on appeals but I think you need to prepare your mum that its going to be a very uphill battle. This year there are many pupil premium and non pupil premium kids who are just short, so 204 203. I think many are planning to appeal thinking perhaps there will be more leeway because of Covid and missed lessons for 4 months. But historically appeals are extremely hard to win. My point is these many kids so close to the qualifying score perhaps have the slimmest of chances. But I'm afraid to say that a score 15 marks away is looking at less than 5% chance of successful appeal, perhaps unless you can prove an amazing academic track record for the last few years as proof that something went amiss on the day. For a Grammar school appeal, things like proximity and familiarity with the school wont help I dont think. I hope your mom also included comprehensive schools on the secondary application form that you have a reasonable chance of getting, otherwise you will be allocated any school with a space and that could be anywhere.

Yeah I definitely know it won't be easy. I told her to be realistic and don't apply - after all, the email said do not put the school on the list if you didn't achieve the qualifying score, but she insisted that I do!

Yes we did apply to a comprehensive, actually his primary school is opening up a new secondary school so he will be the first cohort there- I have no problem with that because we are already familiar with the multi academy trust and my mum works in one of the schools and they are a track record of success, so I'm not too worried about that.

As for academic track record, to be honest I'm not even sure. I think he has been described as smart but I'm not sure if it's super duper smart. I read on the forum that if you're also going to be appealing for oversubscription, then factors like proximity and logistics etc might be taken into account, but I might be wrong.

Wildfuture wrote:
As difficult as it is, your mum needs to accept that your brother will be going to a comprehensive school. Any successful appeal over and above that will be a bonus. Although there are very valid reasons for wanting the place at the grammar school (proximity and siblings), the school your mum will be appealing for will already be full to capacity, with potentially hundreds of children on the waiting list all of whom achieved the qualifying score. So the appeal panel would be adding your brother to the school despite it already being full, over and above others who also don't have a place but scored higher. Just to add also, the qualifying score was announced before the test, not after the papers were marked.

I never knew that about the qualifying score. My mum has a tiny glimmer of home that (somehow) not enough people would have achieved above the score because of the lockdown and therefore they would take people below that. I very much doubt that since you have 1000s of people applying for around 150 places at the score, so surely it would be full.
I did read on the appeals page that you could be lucky if you achieved a lower score but you have other factors in your favour compared to someone who achieved higher but has no other factors. Also he is a pupil premium student but I know that doesn't matter if you achieved below the qualifying score anyway.

I've accepted it but unfortunately she is still clinging on to any hope to get into this school otherwise she will start stressing about logistics, like dropping off to school when she has a Yr1 child and is a single parent, or picking up when the closing times for the primary + secondary are the same, things become a lot more difficult. But I guess we'll have to make do

Thank you both for the advice!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:29 am 

consciousatmosphere wrote:

Hi consciousatmosphere- Even though your post seeks help and assistance, it brings a smile to my face. Reason being I can foresee you and your brothers shining through life and being a credit to your own family and the wider community. Your approach to challenges at such a young age and the humility and eagerness to help your family is inspiring. Keep doing what you are doing. We need you for our future!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next