Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 results
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:53 pm 

You can call and ask a couple of weeks after offers day in March.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:41 am 

Hi all
Well done to everyone

My
DD achieved 213, we are in camp hill catchment with a sibling and no pp
A hard position to be in but ever so proud of her achievement considering the circumstances

Any advice on this score and possible school selections?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:47 am 

f-bhx wrote:
Hi all
Well done to everyone

My
A hard position to be in but ever so proud of her achievement considering the circumstances

Hi f-bhx- you are rightly proud of your daughter!

You ask about the score and chances of a place at CHG being offered. She will be in category 5. Last year the school offered a place for a child in category 5 with a score of 245. This was on National offers day so the last child admitted from the waiting list may have had a lower score.

Handsworth girl’s school offered a category 5 place at 214 (again the last girl admitted may have scored less).

It has not been made public yet how many in catchment children for the respective schools have achieved the priority score. From last year’s information your daughter would not have been offered a place at CHG; however list the schools on the CAF in your true order of preference. If you do decide to list other grammars make sure the travel times are reasonable (particularly in rush hour). Make sure you have listed non grammars at which your daughter has a realistic chance of getting a place.

Most importantly remember that a grammar school is just a school. The most important thing is that your child is at a school where they are happy and feel safe, and don’t underestimate the impact a long journey has on a child.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:42 am 

The allocations for the schools on March 1st are given towards the bottom of this page https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... and-offers

Not sure what happened off the waiting list - does anyone know?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:35 am 

Last year there was information about how many in catchment PP and non PP children had received the required scores. This was useful in giving an idea of the likelihood of a place being offered. For example we knew in advance that KEFW had more children than there were non PP places and also that they hadn’t enough in catchment PP children who had achieved the qualifying score and so they would need to offer places to out of catchment PP children.

I’ve just checked my previous posts and this information was published on the 25th October last year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:23 pm 

f-bhx wrote:
Hi all
Well done to everyone

My

I'd like to echo Nella's advice. Definitely should be proud of children giving it their best. The positive mental attitude that they have developed in attempting the test will stand them in good stead for future exams.

Alternative localish schools to CHG: KE Handsworth Girls, Sutton Coldfield Girls.

Not sure if there is a green bus to these schools but certainly worth checking out.
Wishing you the very best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:56 pm 

Will the letter also come by post this year? My elder boy got one before which include the detail score(nvr, english,math respectively).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:16 pm 

clover4green wrote:
Will the letter also come by post this year? My elder boy got one before which include the detail score(nvr, english,math respectively).

No- just the email. You can email the foundation and ask for the breakdown of scores.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 am 

Nella wrote:
clover4green wrote:

No- just the email. You can email the foundation and ask for the breakdown of scores.

Thank you so much, got the response from them. Not as detail as 3 years before though. My ds's score was well above the entrance mark but not as high as his estimation. he had not been in any tuition center.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:58 pm 

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions.

We have now submitted the CAF.

I wonder when do they check the distance from home to school? Just after they have received the applications (In Nov?) or just before the national results day (in Feb?).

I am asking to understand the impact if we move house between now and March?
Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next