Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:14 am 

ToadMum wrote:
Sujatra wrote:
Thank you all.
I am confused about my choice.
Now Camphill is doing well academically.
It might not be the same in coming years.
Tough decision to make.
I feel there's not going to be a big change in Fiveways from now.

Thank you.
I am sticking to Camphill as the first priority.
Still not sure whether he will get it.
But he will be considered as OCC.
I will be happy with fiveways too.
As you said, I know Camphill well.
Hope for the best.
Thanks again everyone.

Well, if the reason that you think that the school may go downhill academically is that more applicants will be getting in who merely get the required pass mark and are living in the right place and not because they are the cleverest DC for miles around, this won't impact much, if at all, on your DC's results if they are one of the cleverest DC for miles around, will it? The thick locals bumbling along at the bottom of the year group will still have met a standard agreed by the KE Foundation to be suitable for a selective school.

Or is your definition of the right school for your DC that it is 'the top school', not 'the best school for my DC'?

If you and your DC genuinely feel that Camp Hill would be a better fit for them overall, then put it first for that reason :).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:15 am 

Shabs34 wrote:
Nella wrote:
Sujatra wrote:
Thank you all.
Tough decision to make.

All of the grammar schools do well academically. CHB historically has done slightly better; however they have been able to ‘cherry pick’ the highest performing boys. There is no reason why they shouldn’t continue to perform well academically.

The schools academic record is only part of the picture. If your son has the potential to do well, is happy at school, and is supported at home he will do well wherever he goes. Has your older child been happy at CHBs? At least you have the benefit of prior experience of that school whereas Fiveways would be more of an unknown.

I could be wrong, but my understanding, after talking with with the Grammar School consortium was that the sibling rule only applied to catchment area. You may want to call CH and ask for clarification before making a final choice. The weblink I posted also has the number for the Grammar School Consortium, might be worth calling them direct.

You still have time before making a final choice :-)

The policy is quite clear on sibling rule. Within catchment scoring above priority score (criteria 4) they get priority, for out of catchment or those scoring below priority score (criteria 5) priority where scores are equal.
Regardless of the sibling rule and 'checking before applying' this still doesn't change the fact of putting your favourite school at the top of the form and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:16 am 

ToadMum wrote:
Sujatra wrote:
Thank you all.
Tough decision to make.

Well, if the reason that you think that the school may go downhill academically is that more applicants will be getting in who merely get the required pass mark and are living in the right place and not because they are the cleverest DC for miles around, this won't impact much, if at all, on your DC's results if they are one of the cleverest DC for miles around, will it? The thick locals bumbling along at the bottom of the year group will still have met a standard agreed by the KE Foundation to be suitable for a selective school.

Or is your definition of the right school for your DC that it is 'the top school', not 'the best school for my DC'?

If you and your DC genuinely feel that Camp Hill would be a better fit for them overall, then put it first for that reason :).

Thank you.
Hope for the best.
Thanks again everyone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:35 am 

Sujatra wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
Sujatra wrote:
Thank you all.
Tough decision to make.

Thank you.
Hope for the best.
Thanks again everyone

Absolutely Sujatra – if you prefer Camp Hill, keep it first! If there are any out of catchment places available (which is a little more likely now that they are increasing their intake), your son will be considered, and even if he is not offered on 1 March he will automatically be placed on the waiting list. And if it comes down to the last place then the sibling rule would apply if his score was equal with another child who didn’t have a sibling. Plus CHB would surely be easier logistically for you all (and even emotionally on some levels) as your son’s older brother is there. :)

As Nella said, if however you placed Camp Hill as second choice after Five Ways and your son was allocated a place at Five Ways due to being in catchment, he would NOT automatically get placed on the waiting list for Camp Hill. :shock:

In terms of academic performance - at any of the schools - the quality of the teachers, the way of teaching and expectations will not change. If it is the proportion of PP children which concerns some folk, IMHO this will not have a huge impact on the results since

a) a big percentage of those will have scored 222+ anyway and some in fact extremely highly (250+ even 260+)! in the entrance test
b) even if they got 205+ (which is still in the top 25% of scores where the top score is 275) they are more than likely to have hitherto untapped potential (as discussed by previous posters) which the Grammar School will tap into
and c) since CHB and Handworth Girls have just announced an increase to their intake this effectively decreases the proportion of PP from the original higher figures anyway.

So, in a nutshell, it's just so imperative that everyone puts their true first choice first, especially with the extra intake :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:14 am 

The increase in the PAN is great news

Looking at pp places alongside non pp:
There are now 962 available places. Of these places a minimum of 25% are pp places =242 places.

In catchment pp children reaching the qualifying score = 243.
Total number of pp children reaching QS is 301.
The KE foundation anticipates this number to reduce by 20%, so if this happens that would take the total number of pp children able to apply (in and out of catchment) down to 240 ish- so around the 25% mark.

If 25% of the spaces are filled by pp children, that leaves 720 spaces for non pp children. 727 children have achieved the priority score.

This 727 figure doesn’t take into account children that might apply to the surrounding grammar schools.

I’m amazed at how the figures have worked out. The KE foundation appear to have got their sums spot on!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:39 am 

Nella wrote:

There are now 962 available places. Of these places a minimum of 25% are pp places =242 places.

The KE foundation anticipates this number to reduce by 20%, so if this happens that would take the total number of pp children able to apply (in and out of catchment) down to 240 ish- so around the 25% mark.

If 25% of the spaces are filled by pp children, that leaves 720 spaces for non pp children. 727 children have achieved the priority score.

This 727 figure doesn’t take into account children that might apply to the surrounding grammar schools.

I’m amazed at how the figures have worked out. The KE foundation appear to have got their sums spot on!

Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:40 am 

Nella wrote:

Thanks a Lot.
Fingers crossed for the March 1st

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:43 am 

Thanks LouLouJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:52 pm 

The fact that kehg is increasing it to 192 instead of a round number suggests they are planning those extra spaces specifically for the PP extras over the 25% originally planned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:16 pm 

mjasghar wrote:
The fact that kehg is increasing it to 192 instead of a round number suggests they are planning those extra spaces specifically for the PP extras over the 25% originally planned

The consultation for the additional places closed on the 11th April- well before the last date for registration (28th June) so there is no way they would have known the number of applicants let alone the number achieving the qualifying score!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next