Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:34 pm 

Hi
No. we do not consider WGHS as it’s too far from my home and I have another 2 kids in primary so will not be able to drop them to schools on time ufff
Next year will be hard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:55 pm 

https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk ... BbdGjSpkVQ

CHB intake for 2020 150, CHHG 192

As fyi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:58 am 

Shabs34 wrote:
https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/2020-intake-information-for-prospective-selective-school-applicants/?fbclid=IwAR36aCr-BEDdpq1v36eHyNuCIEkB4tXaOo39LZ2ABUB92OieUBbdGjSpkVQ

As fyi

Now am confused,
Huge increase.
We live in Fiveways catchment7bournvillle.
My first choice was Camphill as my eldest is in Camphill. He is leaving in a year though.
Now just a day left, tempted to change fiveways first.
Something tells go for fiveways.
Can someone guide me please

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:38 am 

Sujatra wrote:
Shabs34 wrote:
https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/2020-intake-information-for-prospective-selective-school-applicants/?fbclid=IwAR36aCr-BEDdpq1v36eHyNuCIEkB4tXaOo39LZ2ABUB92OieUBbdGjSpkVQ

As fyi

Now am confused,
Huge increase.
We live in Fiveways catchment7bournvillle.
My first choice was Camphill as my eldest is in Camphill. He is leaving in a year though.
Now just a day left, tempted to change fiveways first.
Something tells go for fiveways.
Can someone guide me please

Extra places shouldn't make any difference to your choice. I would say the same as I have before, you must put your favourite as number 1. Don't try to put your choices down tactically as you won't get your first choice school.
If Camp Hill is your favourite keep it there if Five ways I'd your favourite swap it round.
Unfortunately I can't comment on the schools themselves as they are too far away for us to consider.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:54 am 

As above - go on preference and ask yourself are prepared to say yes to any one of your choices?

One thing I found useful is the gov.uk secondary school comparison facility. You can compare all your preferences alongside each other and see how they fair on a statistical basis - stats such as achievement of grade 5 or above in English and maths, how many go into employment and further ed. And something called a progress 8 score. I’m sure someone may discredit it but I could clearly see how all six preferences stacked up against each other.

THEN i went on gut feeling and if I would Be prepared to say yes to any of them - my sixth is not the best but is the best sixth option if makes sense - it means a lot more parental support but hey that’s my job!

I’ve just compared them again and it totally stacks up with my order of preference. Phew!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:23 am 

Sujatra- put the schools down in your TRUE order of preference. If you prefer CHB put that 1st. Your son may be offered Fiveways; however if you have listed CHB higher on the preference form he will be on the waiting list for CHBs.

It’s my understanding that you are not automatically put on waiting lists for lower preference schools. For example if you put Fiveways 1st (but really would prefer CHB) and he is offered a place at Fiveways he will not be put on the waiting list for CHBs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:38 am 

Thank you all.
I am confused about my choice.
Now Camphill is doing well academically.
It might not be the same in coming years.
Tough decision to make.
I feel there's not going to be a big change in Fiveways from now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:54 am 

Sujatra wrote:
Thank you all.
Tough decision to make.

All of the grammar schools do well academically. CHB historically has done slightly better; however they have been able to ‘cherry pick’ the highest performing boys. There is no reason why they shouldn’t continue to perform well academically.

The schools academic record is only part of the picture. If your son has the potential to do well, is happy at school, and is supported at home he will do well wherever he goes. Has your older child been happy at CHBs? At least you have the benefit of prior experience of that school whereas Fiveways would be more of an unknown.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:59 am 

Sujatra wrote:
Thank you all.
Tough decision to make.

Well, if the reason that you think that the school may go downhill academically is that more applicants will be getting in who merely get the required pass mark and are living in the right place and not because they are the cleverest DC for miles around, this won't impact much, if at all, on your DC's results if they are one of the cleverest DC for miles around, will it? The thick locals bumbling along at the bottom of the year group will still have met a standard agreed by the KE Foundation to be suitable for a selective school.

Or is your definition of the right school for your DC that it is 'the top school', not 'the best school for my DC'?

If you and your DC genuinely feel that Camp Hill would be a better fit for them overall, then put it first for that reason :).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:03 am 

Nella wrote:
Sujatra wrote:
Thank you all.
Tough decision to make.

All of the grammar schools do well academically. CHB historically has done slightly better; however they have been able to ‘cherry pick’ the highest performing boys. There is no reason why they shouldn’t continue to perform well academically.

The schools academic record is only part of the picture. If your son has the potential to do well, is happy at school, and is supported at home he will do well wherever he goes. Has your older child been happy at CHBs? At least you have the benefit of prior experience of that school whereas Fiveways would be more of an unknown.

I could be wrong, but my understanding, after talking with with the Grammar School consortium was that the sibling rule only applied to catchment area. You may want to call CH and ask for clarification before making a final choice. The weblink I posted also has the number for the Grammar School Consortium, might be worth calling them direct.

You still have time before making a final choice :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next