Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:51 pm 

Hello!

I'm looking for advice on private schools in Birmingham at the senior school level. Can anyone advise me as to how difficult it is to get into the foĺlowing schools from a state primary and whether tutoring is generally required:

Ehs
Solihull school
Kehs
Highclare
Lichfield cathedral

Also if anyone has experience of these schools in terms of culture that would be really useful as we are new to it all and would really appreciate some guidance.

Many thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:49 pm 

I think if your DD could pass 11+ exam, most likely is she could get into most of the independent schools you listed above. KEHS is probably the hardest to get in from the lot. Whether tutoring or DIY is up to you, but generally her reading and math level should get to year 6/7 standard before the exam. And writing as well if one is aiming for KEHS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:16 pm 

The independent school exams are very different to the 11+ the English is more creative writing essay type and the maths is more problem solving. Time constraints are not that tough in the independent school tests, I would suggest you focus on essay writing as that is something the 11+ doesn’t require. Don’t think you need tutoring as such for these type of tests lots of material like past papers on line from other private schools which you can access and try. Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:50 pm 

There is no entrance test as such for Highclare as it is none selective. Your child would sit a paper to assess their general level of education.

There is a headteacher's scholarship awarded each year based on academic performance (and I can't remember if there are bursaries/and or scholarships for music, sport etc).

Generally, the main criteria is whether you can meet the fees. There would be an assessment and interview, aling with school reports, to check the school is also a good fit for both parties.

I would also look at distance. The schools you listed are in different areas. Please also consider transport as a key factor.

Independents vary so please look around and decide what your child wants. It may be that they love drama or music and that one school caters better for this.