Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Applying from Edinburgh
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:37 pm 

Hello,
We are currently living in Edinburgh. My son is in P6. We are looking to apply to Bishop Vesey grammar School in Birmingham. Has anyone taken this route and would like to share their experience?
Thank you. :?: :?: :) :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:53 pm 

I hope you are planning to move !

I think someone did apply to somewhere in England from Scotland a few years back. You can obviously apply to do the exam but am not sure how you apply for the actual place! Normally you would complete the CAF and submit it to the LEA where you live .. but Edinburgh won;t be connected to this system.

ETA - there is a thread where someone applied to Gloucs schools - might give some ideas about the logistics viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54178

and one moving from Scotland to Birmingham here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48425&hilit=scotland&start=10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 pm 

Thank you.Let me go through the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:45 am 

hermanmunster wrote:

Many people are ready to move across the country if this means enabling their child to receive an excellent education. It’s a shame so many grammar schools were closed in the seventies.
Those who claim they are against GS because they want all schools to be excellent live in a dream world... And meanwhile they place their children in GS! How ironic!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:03 am 

Ceinwen wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:

Many people are ready to move across the country if this means enabling their child to receive an excellent education. It’s a shame so many grammar schools were closed in the seventies.
Those who claim they are against GS because they want all schools to be excellent live in a dream world... And meanwhile they place their children in GS! How ironic!

I agree it is a shame that there are not more GS around - the comment about moving was a joke :? hoping they weren't planning to commute. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:26 am 

Yes we are planning to move. Confused about how to apply from Edinburgh. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:43 am 

Ceinwen wrote:
+1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:46 am 

Vani708 wrote:
Yes we are planning to move. Confused about how to apply from Edinburgh. :)

It is tricky but there are ways around it - I think some people contacted the LEA where the school was based for advice - hope you get sorted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:43 pm 

our daughter was in Year 6 when we moved. We applied for the 11plus in May as the child does not need to live in birmingham to sit for the test. My hubby was living in Birmingham for an year then.She did well in the test and got admission in KE school. WE only moved once a place was confirmed. DD in Year 7 now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:49 pm 

This may change as catchments are introduced so probably best if the OP checks with the LEA directly.