Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:55 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 891 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:41 am
Posts: 16
Hi

Just an update for the admin to keep this score etc updated

My son was just offered a place at HGS with a score of 211 yesterday, place has been declined, my son is having a fantastic start to the term and enjoying school life at Adams Grammar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:38 am
Posts: 8
Bettyspaghetti wrote:
Hi all, my son was offered a place at Five Ways yesterday. He was originally 95th on the waiting list back in March with a score of 230.

We are still deciding whether or not to accept as he is very happy and settled at Aston, but thought it would be helpful for people to know that there is still movement and there is likely to be more; he was still 9th at the end of the summer holidays, so there must have been quite a few no shows at the start of term


Congratulations Betty.
Am I right that min was 237 in 2019? My daughter had 214 this, I'm looking for a hope :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:38 am
Posts: 8
jay001 wrote:
Hi

Just an update for the admin to keep this score etc updated

My son was just offered a place at HGS with a score of 211 yesterday, place has been declined, my son is having a fantastic start to the term and enjoying school life at Adams Grammar.


Hi Jay,

HGS is King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for Boys?
Min was 219, wasn't it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 9687
Kruella - looks like the scores did go down a fair bit - he is a post from July :

brummydad19 wrote:
Hi All, a quick note, we have received a letter from KE Handsworth Boys today offering a place to the DS with score 212, distance ~11000m from the school. Below are my follow ups with the FO.

27th Mar - 136
1st Apr - 119
9th Apr - 109
26th Apr - 83
13th May - 66
28th Jun - 24
17th Jul - 3
23rd Jul - 1
25th Jul - offered

Happy days!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:38 am
Posts: 8
Could I ask for advice please?
As I mentioned before, my daughter got 214 points this year. Min for KE school is 222.
Which school is she the most likely to eventually get a place with this score?
Sutton Coldfield, Camp Hill or Five Ways?
We wanted to move , so it doesn't matter for us, which catchment we will move into.
We both work in Bham city centre.
Thank you very much for your advice. I'm so confused I don't really know what to think.
Or you think chances are so low , that we shouldn't have any hope and don't put any of them on list?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 9687
kruella wrote:
Could I ask for advice please?
As I mentioned before, my daughter got 214 points this year. Min for KE school is 222.
Which school is she the most likely to eventually get a place with this score?
Sutton Coldfield, Camp Hill or Five Ways?
We wanted to move , so it doesn't matter for us, which catchment we will move into.
We both work in Bham city centre.
Thank you very much for your advice. I'm so confused I don't really know what to think.
Or you think chances are so low , that we shouldn't have any hope and don't put any of them on list?


Hi - the problem this year is that with a brand new system we don't know exactly how it will work out. It is quite different from previous years and the info on this thread is no indication of what will happen.
With 214 you are below the priority score (unless you have PP) which means that, as it stands with you also being out of catchment (is that correct - you would need to be in catchment by the time you submit the CAF, not something that can practically be done) it is going to be quite hard to get a place at CH or FW, though as I say - who knows it may be worth a go. Do you have other schools locally you are considering?

Have a look at the first post on here - it gives the current criteria for admission: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58141 If you are out of catchment then I think your DD would be in Cat 5.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:38 am
Posts: 8
Thank you Hermanmunster. If it wasn't already hard enough!!:-))
We have 2 houses found in both catchments (five ways and camp hill)so we could try to sort the address out via solicitors by 31st Oct I guess. Looking at previews years I would like to give Five Ways a go.I heard there is always more boys than girls there.... We were thinking about Q3 or St Pauls Catholic School for Girls in Bham, which was voted best comprehensive school in Bham this year, so not a bad option I guess..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 9687
kruella wrote:
Thank you Hermanmunster. If it wasn't already hard enough!!:-))
We have 2 houses found in both catchments (five ways and camp hill)so we could try to sort the address out via solicitors by 31st Oct I guess. Looking at previews years I would like to give Five Ways a go.I heard there is always more boys than girls there.... We were thinking about Q3 or St Pauls Catholic School for Girls in Bham, which was voted best comprehensive school in Bham this year, so not a bad option I guess..


Please don't count on the scores from previous years, they really give no insight as to what will happen this year! With a score of 214 you will be looking at Category 5 (where catchment is irrelevant ) which is likely to have very limited number of places and the key is that they will go to the very highest scores. If you are in Cat 5 then might as well stay where you are and apply from there


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:55 pm
Posts: 1
Hi I hadn't appreciated that once you accepted a place at a grammar school that you remained on the waiting list for the others or is that just if you accepted a place at say your 3rd choice you remain on the waiting list for your 1st and 2nd?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:27 pm
Posts: 4766
Location: london
JML247 wrote:
Hi I hadn't appreciated that once you accepted a place at a grammar school that you remained on the waiting list for the others or is that just if you accepted a place at say your 3rd choice you remain on the waiting list for your 1st and 2nd?

It depends! I am not familiar with the system in Birmingham but elsewhere it varies hugely so do not assume you are kept on a waiting list. Elsewhere certainly not if you are allocated your first preference.

_________________
mad?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 891 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2020