Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:15 am 

Thanks all. Has anyone seen the very recent Google reviews for KEHS? They are pretty negative, and does anyone know if there is any truth behind students being forced to drop subjects they won’t perform highly in as to not mess up the league tables?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:57 am 

Yes I saw that and it was a bit concerning, but then you are always going to get a few people who hate their school.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:22 am 

Things like that can happen when there is a change of head - can't remember when Miss Evans (Mk II) left and Mrs Clarke arrived but I know it was quite a change of style

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:13 pm 

halsea wrote:
Yes I saw that and it was a bit concerning, but then you are always going to get a few people who hate their school.

I must admit I’ve never looked at google reviews for schools although someone due attention on here to negative reviews of KEFW and HGS so I read those - and they were similarly negative to these KEHS ones.

I have to say I don’t recognise either of my children’s schools (KEHS and HGS) in these reviews - they don’t reflect our experiences. But not every child is suited to a selective school. Also, teen years are really hard - I hear similar issues popping up amongst my friends whose children are at comprehensives/grammars/independents/home educated. It’s not an easy time to be a teenager.

It’s true though that KEHS isn’t great with computing - minimal really and their tech subjects are all ‘girly’. So if you have a girl interested in those areas it’s not the right place.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm 

Crazycrofter can you elaborate on the computing at KES? My daughter loves computing and we have had to take her to lots of apple workshops because her primary have barely touched on it. Maths, art and computing are her favourites and I could see her going into coding, so what you have mentioned is making me think.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:32 pm 

halsea wrote:
Crazycrofter can you elaborate on the computing at KES? My daughter loves computing and we have had to take her to lots of apple workshops because her primary have barely touched on it. Maths, art and computing are her favourites and I could see her going into coding, so what you have mentioned is making me think.

Some computing is included in the Creative Living course I think, but it’s not a subject in its own right. They do a non-examined course in years 10 and 11 and I think computing was an option. However there’s no computer science A Level.

However lots of people would say that’s not a problem as Maths A Level is more important for a Computer Science degree so not having done the A Level wouldn’t hold you back.

You might want to ask the school for details of their curriculum though as my daughter’s not interested so my information may not be quite right.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:32 pm 

I must admit Google wouldn't be the place I'd look to get an idea of how good a school is. Most of the reviews don't even appear to be based on anything about the school.

I can understand the points the critical reviewers are making; it's not been our experience but I can recognise the issues they describe. Unfortunately they're common to all the selective schools I have any knowledge of.

Giving up subjects because not considered able enough: I'm not aware of anyone having to drop a subject. There will certainly be constraints on people's A-level choices (as there will be in every selective school in Birmingham, every 6th form college I know of and I would guess a good proportion of comprehensives).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:30 am 

Thanks both for your honest views, as you say any school is going to encourage a pull to take subjects that they are good at. And I get the point that maths is the most important subject in their early career in computing, I suppose in an ideal world, a school that is into tec and its applications in todays world would be my preference, but you can't have everything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:18 am 

halsea wrote:
Thanks both for your honest views, as you say any school is going to encourage a pull to take subjects that they are good at. And I get the point that maths is the most important subject in their early career in computing, I suppose in an ideal world, a school that is into tec and its applications in todays world would be my preference, but you can't have everything.

Don't forget you can always change schools for sixth form. HGS, where my son is, seems very focussed on tech and computing subjects. Computer Science is a compulsory GCSE for example and they take girls in the sixth form.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:59 am 

crazycrofter wrote:

Don't forget you can always change schools for sixth form. HGS, where my son is, seems very focussed on tech and computing subjects. Computer Science is a compulsory GCSE for example and they take girls in the sixth form.

Is it? When did that change?