Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:39 pm 

Raych wrote:
Do any of the parents that have previously been through this, ever think it was beyond reach ,, I’ve been really positive all along and seen progress dd has made now I’m having doubts I’m worrying about scores amount of exam sitters waiting for scores then results I’m having a melt down :roll:

Absolutely felt this way! We didn’t really know much about the Grammar possibilities until the end of year 4. If it hadn’t have been for that teacher, at that time, I’m not sure we ever would.

So when we started to look into it, we realised that some children were much further ahead of the game, in terms of ‘practice and tutoring’. We have 4 DC, & our DS that starts QMGS in Sept is the oldest, so it was all totally new to us. We never considered private tuition but obviously did practise papers etc like yourself.

I must be honest, it is a daunting experience when they pitch up for that test and you see all the other children. I remember thinking to myself ‘what real chance does he have against these numbers?’ I felt quite guilty even, as though I was subjecting him to something voluntarily that he needn’t go through, that he was possibly at an unfair disadvantage, that I’d set him up to fail etc. But you know what, most kids are so resilient, much more so than I. I felt so proud of ALL those kids for just having a go! Actually, the boys are saw were all incredibly composed, it’s the parents that struggled holding it together lol.

Once the test is done, it’s a relief because you know you & dc can do no more. We could try & forget about it for a few weeks (until Oct came around). Then it’s the anticipation and anxiety of waiting for/receiving scores. Then it’s trying to gather every piece of info you can to try and ascertain whether they stand a chance.

Of course nothing is certain until March (or beyond). For example, our ds scored 334. Any other year he would have received an offer on 1st March. As it panned out, cutoff was 337 this year! So although he did get his place, he had to wait until 20th June,

In summary, it’s so emotional, up & down. There’s no doubt it’s a stressful and complicated process, but if you and your dc think it’s the best fit for them, you must give it a go. Sadly, not everyone can get the result they hope & work so hard for, but I just found it helped to believe that he’d follow the path that fate had intended for him. I honestly believe you’d regret it more if you didn’t give your dc the chance.

Sorry for such a long post!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:12 pm 

Macmum wrote:
Raych wrote:
Do any of the parents that have previously been through this, ever think it was beyond reach ,, I’ve been really positive all along and seen progress dd has made now I’m having doubts I’m worrying about scores amount of exam sitters waiting for scores then results I’m having a melt down :roll:

Absolutely felt this way! We didn’t really know much about the Grammar possibilities until the end of year 4. If it hadn’t have been for that teacher, at that time, I’m not sure we ever would.

So when we started to look into it, we realised that some children were much further ahead of the game, in terms of ‘practice and tutoring’. We have 4 DC, & our DS that starts QMGS in Sept is the oldest, so it was all totally new to us. We never considered private tuition but obviously did practise papers etc like yourself.

I must be honest, it is a daunting experience when they pitch up for that test and you see all the other children. I remember thinking to myself ‘what real chance does he have against these numbers?’ I felt quite guilty even, as though I was subjecting him to something voluntarily that he needn’t go through, that he was possibly at an unfair disadvantage, that I’d set him up to fail etc. But you know what, most kids are so resilient, much more so than I. I felt so proud of ALL those kids for just having a go! Actually, the boys are saw were all incredibly composed, it’s the parents that struggled holding it together lol.

Once the test is done, it’s a relief because you know you & dc can do no more. We could try & forget about it for a few weeks (until Oct came around). Then it’s the anticipation and anxiety of waiting for/receiving scores. Then it’s trying to gather every piece of info you can to try and ascertain whether they stand a chance.

Of course nothing is certain until March (or beyond). For example, our ds scored 334. Any other year he would have received an offer on 1st March. As it panned out, cutoff was 337 this year! So although he did get his place, he had to wait until 20th June,

In summary, it’s so emotional, up & down. There’s no doubt it’s a stressful and complicated process, but if you and your dc think it’s the best fit for them, you must give it a go. Sadly, not everyone can get the result they hope & work so hard for, but I just found it helped to believe that he’d follow the path that fate had intended for him. I honestly believe you’d regret it more if you didn’t give your dc the chance.

Sorry for such a long post!

That you really appreciate you all taking time out to reply,, I feel as if I’m just wanting someone to say yes your dd will get a gauranteed place “if only” we didn’t start prepping till January dd maths is very strong but vocabulary lets her down as she’s not a lover of reading,, I’m just going to continue with the test papers and hopefully she will do her best on the day,,, I have also been told not sure how true this is that bond papers are harder than the test and that 60% is is roughly a mark of 220 ,,, which I thought it would of been a score of under 200

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:41 pm 

We never used the Bond material but used Letts and CGP so I'm not sure. My son did feel/say that the test itself was 'easier' than a lot of his practice papers.

What school are you aiming for?

It's like you wish you could take a peek into the future, just to know one way or the other. I won't lie, it's a lot of waiting and waiting (and I obsessed a lot) but I do think once you receive her score in Oct, you'll be able to gauge how realistic her chances are.

Whatever the outcome, this work will stand her in good stead for year 6 and sats. My ds was so at ease with sats because he had learned so much during 11+ revision.

Deep breaths and hang on in there!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:49 pm 

Macmum wrote:
We never used the Bond material but used Letts and CGP so I'm not sure. My son did feel/say that the test itself was 'easier' than a lot of his practice papers.

What school are you aiming for?

It's like you wish you could take a peek into the future, just to know one way or the other. I won't lie, it's a lot of waiting and waiting (and I obsessed a lot) but I do think once you receive her score in Oct, you'll be able to gauge how realistic her chances are.

Whatever the outcome, this work will stand her in good stead for year 6 and sats. My ds was so at ease with sats because he had learned so much during 11+ revision.

Deep breaths and hang on in there!

I would love camp hill girls :o Second choice five ways ,third Stratford girls ,, I would like I’ve got it all worked out lol ,, would be happy with any grammar it would just be travelling to the others plus we have every good back up secondary school

Like every other parent on here I just want the best for my dd and yes a lot will say it’s the child not the School but my dd needs to be around people that want to learn she’s very easy distracted, she’s very young only just turned 10, w weeks ago it’s so daunting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:32 am 

The Bond papers do appear to be harder, especially from a timing perspective - think an adult would struggle to complete the questions in the time limit! With regard to the actual exam, a standardised score of 200 is classed as average (or in the middle of the curve on a graph). Think I said in a previous post that DS was getting around 60 - 70% and went on to score 217 and 333 if that’s any indication?

I think most parents would feel the same as you are; we certainly did. We knew nothing about the 11+ when DS1 took it 3 years ago, and it was a real eye opener to see the number turning up for the test on the day. You can only do your best and your DC can only give it their best shot. Remember, it is just a snapshot in time, some are perfectly able children that just have a ‘bad day’ on the test day - it is not a reflection on their ability and they still go on to achieve great things.

The best thing for now is plenty of ‘normality’ - enjoy your summer going out, playing games etc. while still fitting in the bits of 11+ practice that you need to. Try reading books together to spend time with each other and increase that vocabulary.

Easy for me to say now, but try not to stress and all the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:00 pm 

Raych wrote:

Oh Raych, it feels as if I wrote this :?
I had a baby a few month's ago and I feel so disorganised and I don't have as much time to spend with my eldest to work with him. My husband commutes to London for work three days a week, so it's mostly only me with the children. I am sleep deprived and feel all over the place, with four children that need my attention, I feel as if I have let my son down with his studies.

Since this our first time preparing the eleven plus with our eldest ds. He has done the Shirley mocks and the sheer volume of children attending has been worrying to say the least. He started with the Bond and Cpg books back in November and I sometimes think we might of started the eleven plus preparations a bit late.

It's really nice to read from other posters, such reassuring words from parents who have been through the experience before. I thank you all for taking the time to write.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:45 pm 

Still here trudging away - just can't wait for it to be over. Haven't been able to get much out of the child in the heat :roll: - she does seem to have inherited my skill for procrastination <that's my girl>

We have also done some of the shirley mocks - up and down *sigh

I'm feeling ok with it all now - I don't think she could have done anymore, and i've tried to help, cajole, coax, all round cheerlead. So what ever the outcome, it'll be good. I'm not overly confident - but I will be back to post score and give congrats.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:24 pm 

It’s so hard but we’ve made it this far last few weeks and then it’s the dreaded wait ,, I don’t know which is worst :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:31 pm 

Raych wrote:

Raych my son wasn't scoring at all well even after the practice papers.

We left the practice papers until the end of all the book work.

For obvious reasons he was a little deflated...but luckily on the day he did well. Things that we practiced came up and he did actually remember a few techniques.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:22 pm 

Well my DD had her mock test at Shirley today and she was shocked by how many maths questions you had to do in the time, so thats something we need to work on straight away. Like others, we have come into this situation very late. We only started on the Bond books in July and its such a hard balance, wanting to give her a relaxing holiday but also giving her the best chance for the test. Some of the children who attended today, said they were off to do more revision that day!
I know my daughters bright, but keeping her brain working at peak performance in the summer holidays is definitely a challenge :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next