Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:20 pm 

bucksmummy wrote:
So St Bernard's 2015 states all eligible catholic and christians, other faiths to 114. So is pass mark still 111 if catholic/Christian. Wondering if stand a chance with 104, we are Christian, not catholic.

I believe the qulaifiying score is still 111

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:22 pm 

What are our chances in general catchment for upton court with a score of 112. I thought if my dd passes I can relax but getting 112 is making me worry that she might not get a place in any of the slough gs. We r not Catholic. So St Bernard's is out of the question.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:32 pm 

From the first post of this thread, 2016 data on admissions.

Quote:
Info on 2016 entry (updated with final data)
Langley Grammar: all eligible from local admissions area. Rank score down to 122 in general area.
Herschel Grammar: rank down to 117, distance to 2.673 miles
Upton court: rank down to 114, distance to 7 miles
Saint Barnards: all eligible RC and other Christian applicants offered. Others scoring 118 or above

Since I have no idea whether you are in the 'local admissions area' or the distance you are from any of the schools I can't help more than this. It is up to you to make a judgement call if you think you are borderline.
As they also say in the financial world, past performance is also no guarantee of future performance either, so these scores could go up or down a bit.

If you like one or more or the schools and think from this you have a chance to getting one, that put them on your CAF in your genuine order of preference, making sure there is at least one school (usually your catchment school) on there that you are sure you will get.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:44 am 

Hi All,
The data for final admission score for Langley Grammar admission is incorrect as my son scored 122 and our first preference was Langley, we were sent an email by Langley that we were on waiting list. They never called back or emailed. This means the final admission did not go at 122 for general area as mentioned.
But anyways our son does attend Herschel in Year 7 and we are very happy with the school, although the amount of homework the kid get everyday is mind boggling. A lot of clubs, activities all around.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:59 am 

Humble Parent wrote:
Hi All,
The data for final admission score for Langley Grammar admission is incorrect as my son scored 122 and our first preference was Langley, we were sent an email by Langley that we were on waiting list. They never called back or emailed. This means the final admission did not go at 122 for general area as mentioned.
But anyways our son does attend Herschel in Year 7 and we are very happy with the school, although the amount of homework the kid get everyday is mind boggling. A lot of clubs, activities all around.

Glad your DS is happy at Hershel Humble Parent. The admission score for Langley is not necessarily incorrect, as there are likely to have been several DC with scores of 122, and not all of them will have got in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:21 am 

Hi mad,
I do understand that there will be many kids with 122 score, but then it means that all final admission scores for all schools are invalid till they specify all other criteria like , at what distance, what age if it comes down to it or any other criteria that the final admission was based upon.
Langley undoubtedly is good school, but since last year the year 7 is a mixed score class. Some kids above 122 score and MOST of others from local area with 111.
This is going to effect the GCSE and A level scores , few years down the line. It will become difficult to maintain same results with every passing year.
Has Langley taken a right decision or shot themselves in the foot by preferring, low scoring local students to general area kids, is to be seen.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:24 am 

I think it has been proven several times that 11 plus score has little effect on results down the line, so I wouldn't worry too much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:44 am 

scary mum wrote:
I think it has been proven several times that 11 plus score has little effect on results down the line, so I wouldn't worry too much.

scary mum,
Is it just a hearsay that you are quoting. If not , then please post a link about any article which says so, our forum readers will be enlightened.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:49 am 

Humble Parent wrote:
scary mum wrote:

scary mum,
Is it just a hearsay that you are quoting. If not , then please post a link about any article which says so, our forum readers will be enlightened.

Somewhere on this site there is (was) the data from KEGS which they used to determine their inner area. IT showed no correlation between scores and subsequent performance, but a loose negative correlation between distances travelled (at the extreme) and GCSE scores, probably because DC were exhausted! Several posters have commented that a number of heads have mentioned the lack of correlation between 11+ score and subsequent results at their open days this year, but as I was not there I cannot corroborate. Certainly at DDs' school there is no correlation, performance on more than one day, application and a wide range of abilities all factoring in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:56 am 

I believe it's one of the reasons scores over 121 are considered irrelevant in Bucks, but I don't have a link. I think Guest55 may have posted something on another thread yesterday but it was deleted. I'm sure others may have a link.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next